Propane stove (Piping Installation)

Old 08-11-07, 07:17 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Propane stove (Piping Installation)

I presently have an electric stove. I would like to put in a propane stove. I'm unsure what size piping I need and are there special connections I need to purchase. Is it something we can do ourself or should we call a plumber. (my husband is handy). Thank you!

Old 08-12-07, 06:28 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello nancycurtiss. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Installing any gas line or gas lines can be a hazard to life and property if not done properly and to existing codes. Without knowing the exact circumstances and a visual of the job at hand is to be, very difficult, if not impossible, to explain how this project can be done safely and to code.

Since the topic deals with gas appliance repairs and not gas pipe plumbing, possible there are a few members and our sites professionals in the plumbing and piping topic whom can offer some insights. I cannot do so. I am a retired appliance repair technician, not a licensed plumbing contractor.

As a result, I am moving your question out of the gas appliance topic and into the plumbing and piping topic. Regards and good luck.

Old 08-12-07, 08:50 AM
Unhappy propane hook-up

Without knowing anything about the size in btu's for the appliance, the length of the run, the local code where you live, the ability of your husband with propane; I think you need a pro that works with propane. FYI propane is a unforgiving gas when installed incorrectly. Sorry.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Old 08-12-07, 10:00 AM
P
as a professional plumber, i'd recomend against doing this yourself. there is a serious chance for disaster when dealing with gas. that said, the line should probably be 3/4" diameter but the actual stove/oven being installed and the length of the run could make that larger. there is also the exhaust venting that needs to be considered.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: