Vibration in new copper...

Old 08-11-07, 09:39 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vibration in new copper...

I just had an irrigation system installed for my property. I have a 1hp well pump that runs to the baldder tank. Since the new copper was installed, I am getting an annoying vibration in the whole first level of my home everytime the pump runs. The pipe is attached to the floor joists with brackets, but I have gotten some rubber washers and foam insulation to try to deaden the vibration anywhere there is contact, and even put insulation where there wasn't. I can feel the vibration from the point the new copper starts, along the entire length of the run until it disappears outside to the system. I will try removing all of the brackets so there is no contact with any of the structure to see if that helps, but I don't think it will matter as I can feel the vibration before it gets to the first contact point. How can I stop the noise? It was quiet before the installation. Thank you.

Old 08-13-07, 09:39 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the noise happens only when you shut on/off the valve, then it is probably your basic water hammer issue. Basically, the pressure and the flowing water/displaced air causes the pipes to hammer with the rapid shift. This is easily fixed by installing an air chamber downstream from the valve-- place a permanently capped copper riser coming off of a T-fitting.

If the noise is continuous, then it is probably vibration due to insufficient cushioning/securing at some point down the line. Where, I don't know.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-13-07 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: