A/C and water heater drain

Old 08-14-07, 09:03 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C and water heater drain

Following the installation of new hot water heater that had pan full of water that overflowed due to blockage in drain pipe, plumber noticed water coming into pan because pipe from heater is connected to condensation A/C pipe. The A/C condensation is backing up into the hot water heater pan. I was told that both should have separate pipes leading outdoors and that this was not up to code. A/C technician said home warranty wont cover it because it was improper installation upon building house. My question is I just bought house 5 months ago. Is house inspector responsible for missing this and how do I approach him to pay to remedy installation of new pipe for which I am quoted about $250. Is City responsible for giving occupancy permit and not noticing this?

Old 08-14-07, 10:58 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is this a new house ? Builder should fix it.

The condensate should really not be a problem in there if the pan has a drain from it to a floor drain.

If you just want it changed you can easily DIY it a lot cheaper. You can either pipe the condensate from the airhandler to a floor drain or you can get a condensate pump and run flexible tubing to any drain like a service sink.

I'm assuming this is installed in a basement ?

Old 08-14-07, 11:05 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The house was built in 1994. Both the AC and the water heater are in attic so although suggestion of pump was mentioned by plumber, simple gravity dictates that it should not be required. Because appliance are in attic, there is no floor drain.

Old 08-14-07, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it's in the attic you should have 2 drains from the airhandler. 1 is the primary and it comes right out of the airhandler the 2nd is from the overflow pan.

The primary drain you could run out anywhere like onto the roof and let it naturally run to the rain gutter. The secondary drain should run out the house and terminate over a door or somewhere else where you will know it's dripping. If your secondary condesate line is dripping then your primary is clogged.

Also you'll get nowhere trying to get the inspector to cover it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: