Sink won't drain but pipes are NOT clogged?

Old 08-17-07, 10:42 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sink won't drain but pipes are NOT clogged?

I put in a new pop-up assembly in my bathroom sink. Now the sink won't drain. I took everything a part, checked for a clog and snaked it as far as I my snake would go. It still is backed up. What am I missing here? The toilet and tub in the bathroom drain fine.

Old 08-18-07, 11:54 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Does it drain with the stopper out? Some stoppers do not rasie the stopper far enough. Especially the ones with the rubber gasket that sort of is hanging down. Some strange air bubble phenomonen occurs that prevents the water from draining fast. But as soon as you remove the stopper, the water flies down the drain.

Old 08-18-07, 06:53 PM
M
The stopper is out and it doesn't drain. I even took the trap off and the verticle pipe that goes back into the wall still had water in it. Can't figure this one out.

Old 08-18-07, 08:55 PM
P
if, when you took the p-trap off, you can see standing water in the tee that is in the wall then you're drain is clogged. you need to run a snake down that line and clear the blockage.

Old 08-19-07, 06:42 AM
M
I ran a snake down there as far as the snake would go a couple of times and it's still clogged.

Old 08-19-07, 08:24 AM
P
well, if you see standing water then it is clogged. did you feel any resistance as you ran the snake? a lot of times if the blockage is soft enough, like grease or sludge, maybe even mud, then you can pass right through it and when you pull the cable back the blockage just collapses back on itself. the other option is that your cable isn't long enough. can you get below the bathroom to see how much drain line there is before it ties into another fixture? just because it's close to another fixture that is draining and it "shouldn't" be backed up doesn't always mean much. did you make sure that the snake went down the tee and not up it? that happens to folks all the time.

if you can get below the bathrooom, that's the first step i'd take. follow that drain line as far as it goes and try and guestimate the footage. you may just need to buy a longer snake. home depot sells some cheaper, belt driven ridgid machines for a few hundred dollars that work well on most drains except for 3" and 4" mainlines. they come with 75' of cable and should work great for your problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: