disconnecting gas line from water heater

Old 08-18-07, 07:55 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
disconnecting gas line from water heater

I am replacing a gas hot water heater and I can't get the gas line off. I turned the nut with pliers but all it does is twist the copper supply line. I used two sets of pliers to try and hold the valve still while turning the nut but can't get them to budge. Any suggestions to free it up. Right now I have the gas shut off at the tank but can't leave it shut off since I use propane for cooking too. My propane supplier said I can disconnect it and cap it off and they will come out the next business day to delete the line. Need to get this switched out as soon as possible so I get water back to my house.

Old 08-18-07, 09:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You should have a shut off valve just prior to the water heater valve. If you are having problems with the nut on the water heater valve, shut off the gas at the cut off and cut the line after the cut off with tubing cutters and reflare a fitting on the end for the new application, or use corrugated gas line from the cut off valve to the new water heater (recommended). That will allow you to use the gas at your stove, and remove the water heater at the same time.

Old 08-18-07, 03:46 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply. I eventually got it with the help of a friend who has experience with that stuff. It has been about 10 or so years since it was installed so it just needed a little persuasion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: