Installing sump pump

Old 08-22-07, 04:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing sump pump

Got quite a bit of rain here recently and my basement took on 1-2" of water due to flooding. I don't have a place for a sump pump, but wondered about cutting into the concrete to make a sump area, and installing a pump. It's not a frequent thing, (flooding), in fact has only happend twice in 9 years, but it's not pretty when it does happen. Any thoughts/ideas for a solution? Thanks

Old 08-22-07, 06:49 PM
P
that would be the way to go. i'd try and pick the lowest point in the basement and make your pit there. hopefully all or most of the water will be directed that way and you can pump it out with little mopping afterward.

Old 08-23-07, 09:22 AM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
You might consider a sump that's open on the botom to allow water to be pumped away from under your slab before it gets into your basement. Cutting a hole in the slab is no big deal. You can rent an electric jackhammer at most tool rental places.

Old 08-24-07, 08:15 PM
E
I had to put a sump in my basement as well, as I occasionally get enough rainwater to raise the water table above the level of my basement floor. I used a coring machine to core a bunch of 6" holes down through the slab. This resulted in a nice clean hole for the sump pump. I didn't like the idea of a jackhammer, as concrete can sometimes be brittle and the hole wouldn't be clean. I also used a wet/dry diamond blade in my circular saw to make the edge of the hole squared off. The coring machine also helped because the sump was so close to the wall, that i had to go through the footings of the wall a little.

The hole I have dug is good, since it relieves pressure from under the slab, and I am able to get water out of the basement before it tries to seep up through any cracks. Both of the sumps in my basement have open bottoms. This sometimes can result in pumping a little bit of groundwater, but it if you get the float set up correctly, its kept to a minimum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: