Shower Faucet that won't stop

Old 08-23-07, 11:04 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Shower Faucet that won't stop

We have a shower faucet that won't stop running. We had a plumber come out and fix our shower that is adjacent to the shower that is running to the same problem. It cost us $145 for 15 minutes of work. I don't want to go through that again. The hot and cold handles are both turned off all the way, and there is still hot water running from the faucet. Also when it started happening, there were black rubber parts coming out of the faucet when we would fill the tube up. I would love to get this fixed ASAP before my daughter burns herself on the hot water, but I would like no to pay $145 again. Please Please help me!!!

Thanks.

Old 08-23-07, 02:37 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you have a "conventional" type of faucet so I'll go with that.The bits of black are peices of the washers at the opposite ends of the stems from the handles.When you turn the handles these are pressed against a "seat" and that stops the water flow.These and possibly the seats also need to be replaced.You must remove the stems likely with a deep socket set made for the purpose and repair them.The seat also is removed with a "L" shaped tool specific for the purpose.Depending on your shower construction it may require removing tile etc to access the stems as they are held in place by one or more bushing/nut parts that must be removed then you can screw out the stem.These parts are usually behind the exterior edge of the wall.Washers come in a wide variety of sizes and you must get the correct one.This also applies to seats.Most REAL hardware stores carry a selection of both and have knowledgable saleshelp.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: