Basement Shower Line

Old 08-25-07, 04:55 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement Shower Line

I am installing a new shower in a basement bathroom. Once I finish cutting up the concrete for the new shower line, how do I tie into the existing line going to the recovery tank? Meaning, once I locate the line under the concrete, how do I place a Wye in the existing line. If I cut the line to accept a wye, how do I insert that wye since the existing line can't be moved. Is there something else that I need to use to tap into the existing line?

Thanks

Old 08-25-07, 05:57 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Use "Fernco" couplings and PVC pipe fittings.. A "Fernco" coupling is a rubber sleeve type fitting that can be slid all the way back over a piece of pipe. You would make up a PVC "Y" with two PVC nipples about 1/2"-1'' longer then the "Fernco" coupling. A piece of existing pipe is cut out just a bit longer then the combined length of the "Y" and PVC nipples. The Ferncos are slid forward on to the existing pipes and the clamps tightened.

Old 08-26-07, 12:56 AM
P
if it were me, i'd use a "no hub" style coupling instead of a fernco (or mission) coupling. the "no hub" style is a bit smaller but has a stainless steel jacket that wraps around the rubber and tightens with 2, or sometimes 4 bands. i've found they work a bit better and since this is going to be under concrete and can't be checked out periodically, they'd give me more piece of mind.

Old 08-26-07, 05:53 AM
M
Fernco, "no-hub", what's the difference? I thought they were the same.

Thanks

Old 08-26-07, 06:34 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
No hub is intended as a specific connector for hubless cast iron pipe. Fernco is a more generalized connection that come in styles other then just a coupling such as wyes and tees. It is often used for joining dissimilar types of non-pressure pipe sometimes of two different sizes. I can't imagine a fitting encased in concrete that has little pressure on it moving or breaking but that's just opinion.

Also in my experience Ferncos don't have to be an exact fit. When going from say 4" PVC to 4" cast iron the PVC fit may seem a bit loose but will tighten adequately. Also I have never seen a hubless fitting that is say 4" X 6". Something that is common for Ferncos. Then too Fernco coupling being longer and slightly flexible allows for some miss-alignment. The no-hub doesn't.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: