Kitchen Drain

Old 08-28-07, 02:52 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Kitchen Drain

I have this terrible odor coming from my kitchen sink. I have an Island sink with an atmospheric vent under the sink. Could this be the source of the smell. I don't smell it anywhere else in the house but there. I've taken the drain apart and there is no blockage, and there is water in the trap. How could this smell be coming from the drain? It's completley dry under the sink, and my house is only 10 months old. We noticed the problem about 2 weeks ago and it seems to be getting worse. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 08-29-07, 05:18 AM
A
You should change the vent first. It may have gotten stuck open or has a bad seal. Don't buy the cheap one at home depot(little black one), get a more high quality one. Oatey makes one but I don't know if Home Depot or Lowes has them. Its called Sure-Vent. Of course, if there is a local hardware store, I would go there first.

Old 08-29-07, 01:44 PM
S
Thank you Adam, were you standing in Home Depot watching us? We did pick up the black one, but knew it wasn't what we needed. We do already have the Oatey vent in place, and were told that could be the problem. I washed it out and shook it and it does flap up and down. We also noticed that we never glued it down to the 2" pipe. It was on there pretty good, but needs to be glued, but we didn't want to in case it was bad. We didn't buy the new Oatey because we didn't think it could go bad in 10 months. By the way Home Depot does carry them now. Do you think it could make a difference just being glued? Thanks for your help.

Old 08-31-07, 10:37 AM
AAV's

Originally Posted by Sonlin
Thank you Adam, were you standing in Home Depot watching us? We did pick up the black one, but knew it wasn't what we needed. We do already have the Oatey vent in place, and were told that could be the problem. I washed it out and shook it and it does flap up and down. We also noticed that we never glued it down to the 2" pipe. It was on there pretty good, but needs to be glued, but we didn't want to in case it was bad. We didn't buy the new Oatey because we didn't think it could go bad in 10 months. By the way Home Depot does carry them now. Do you think it could make a difference just being glued? Thanks for your help.
AAV's are mechanical devices, they do wear out, they are not true vents, but in your situation, thats the only way to go. If you have a glue valve it has to be glued, luck.

Old 08-31-07, 06:20 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
If the odor is only noticeable from the sink and not the cabinet beneath the sink it could be a result of "gunk" (that's a technical term) in the tailpipe between the sink drain and the trap.

Before getting too antsy about the air admittance valve (AAV) I would remove the drain tailpipe and scrub it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: