re-routing gasline for stove

Old 09-06-07, 08:07 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
re-routing gasline for stove

In the process of renovating our kitchen and I need to re-rout the gas line for the stove. The gas line in it's current location t's off of the dryer line and goes straight up thru the floor... basically all I would be doing is making a left hand turn w/ the line then adding 6 more feet of pipe (thru the garage ceiling) then up to the new spot. Seems easy enough but we called a plumber out and he quoted us $900 which seems a little steep to simply move the line left then 6 more feet of pipe to the new location. Is there something I'm missing?
There is a steam pipe for the radiator in the area where I want to run the line is there an issue w/ how close I can come to that with the gas line?

Old 09-10-07, 07:53 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
That does sound way too expensive unless we're missing something. Many plumbers will do small jobs like this by the hour, so at least you know what you're getting.

I had a plumber come over and do a similar change. It was less than 2 hours and about $140. It was only a 12" shift, but it should be about the same.

Good luck!

Old 09-11-07, 06:48 AM
T
Exactly what I thought... no there isn't much to it, other than I think the job was so small he didn't want to waste his time and if we agreed to the price well hey, he made a quick buck.

Old 09-11-07, 07:19 PM
P
while $900 may be a high price i wouldn't do that job for even close to $140. using the prices in my price guide, the materials would come up to $100 or so. material needs to be marked up to factor in the cost of keeping it on the truck, not to mention what the irs gets. figure in a few hours labor and you're pushing $400. the days of a $35 plumber are long gone and even us blue collar guys need to make a living.

paul

Old 09-11-07, 08:19 PM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
It's not unheard of for a contractor to way overbid on an estimate for a job he doesn't want to do. Your best bet is to get estimates from 3-4 different plumbers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: