Washing machine drain over flowing

Old 09-07-07, 04:51 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing machine drain over flowing

We have been having this issue for a while. Whenever we use our washer and it drains the water out of it the drain pipe the water disperses through cant keep up with how fast the water flows and it causes our laundry room to flood out basically. A guy came out to look at it and said it was old piping and basically just has a lot of build up through it which isn't allowing it to drain fast enough most likely. One option was to have half the floor dug up and get new piping, not going to happen because we rent. Next was to try a whole bottle of draino which seemed to work for a little bit but now its back to its flooding habits. Is there anything out there we can try like draino only stronger maybe to clear up the pipes internally so it will actually drain correctly and not flood out? Hopefully this makes some sense, if not sorry.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-07, 04:59 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does the metal washing machine drain pipe go down into the slab?

If so, the only easy solution I can think of is to buy one of those rubber adapters that have a band clamp that goes around the stand pipe and another one that goes around the washer hose drain tube, that seals the hose in the standpipe so that water can't come out the stand pipe. This may put SOME backpressure on the washer pump, but it may be okay this way. Especially if you have a borderline backup problem. This may actually help erode the inside of the pipe cleaner, with use.

Old 09-07-07, 05:25 PM
F
there is a rubber hose that comes off the washer and goes into a tube that comes out of the wall where it drains. But I do like the idea of somehow sealing it off together so no water can come back out. Would I have to worry about the piping at all, like breaking cause of this?

Old 09-07-07, 06:17 PM
E
If it is regular galvanized pipe, I seriously doubt it break. The pipe would have to be worn/rotted inside paper thin, and likely already leaking out pin holes, for this to even remotely be a possibilty. Consider the fact you are not putting a 100% backed up pipe under load. It does drain, right? Another thing is I doubt a cheap plastic washing machine pipe is actually capable of significant PSI under backpressure load.

Old 09-07-07, 09:03 PM
F
well looks like we got it figured out. There was some sort of attachment rigged up to the drain pipe so I pulled that off and now the drain hose actually locks into place within the drain pipe itself. So far no more floods and we put through 3 cycles of wash so I think we're in the clear. Thanks for the tips because I wouldnt of even checked some of the piping with out it.

Old 09-08-07, 10:20 AM
E
Great. BTW, in my last post, on the last sentence, the word "pipe" was supposed to say "pump".