Dishwasher Air-gap Options

Old 09-07-07, 07:44 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Dishwasher Air-gap Options

what options do I have to eliminate the hideous Air-Gap that is on top of the sink. I would assume I can't get rid of it completely, but are there options to install it under the sink. My paln is to install a new sink and use the holes for more useful items. I have a garbage disposal which is where the dishwasher drains. IS MAKING A HIGH LOOP WITH THE DRAIN HOSE ACCEPTABLE OR ARE THERE OTHER OPTIONS??? I live in san diego area, hopefully someone out there can let me know what is acceptable to my area.
THANKS

Old 09-08-07, 04:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Your local codes may dictate what you can or cannot do. But as long as the air gap is higher than the dishwasher, it generally need not be on top of the sink. You must provide a solid mount for it, as it cant tip over, but must remain vertical at all times. Strapping it to a pipe is quite often not an option. Building an angle plate with a hold large enough to fasten it to the back wall of the cabinet works well.

Old 09-08-07, 06:22 AM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
but what if??

Is there another type of air-gap that goes under the sink, the typcial air-gap is desgined to overflow into the sink if there is a drain blockage. which installing the typical air-gap under the sink and with a backup would eject waste into my cabinet

Old 09-08-07, 10:17 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Three methods used around my parts:

1. Conventional 4th sink-deck hole with standard on-deck air gap method.

2. Drill a 5th sink deck hole into sink on other side of faucet, keeping sink-deck air-gap there, and now you have the extra hole to use for 'something else'.

3. Convert air gap to a more bar/restaurant code-like method where you no longer employ that typical sink-deck air-gap that is in the 4th sink hole. Remove it. Replumb under sink so that you have a 2nd trap (individual trap - NOT trapped in series with first trap!) with vertical riser pipe (1 1/2 inch) high up under the sink in the sink cabinet. It will resemble exactly what a washing machine stand-pipe looks like. Now just poke your discharge hose down into the trapped open stand-pipe. Strap the tube under the cabinet so backpressure will not allow the hose to fly out of the tube. Do not put the tube WAY down the pipe - maybe just 4 inches or so.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: