Hose bibb leaking from upper part

Old 09-09-07, 01:01 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hose bibb leaking from upper part

I have a hose bibb on the side of my house that I installed about eight years ago. It's a freezeproof one similar to the one pictured about 3/4th of the way down this page: http://www.plumbingsupply.com/hosebibb.html#freeze.

On the outside of the house, it has the actual spigot, where the water comes out, a wheel to turn the water on and off, and a third thing on top which consist of a metal screw-on cap covering some sort of plastic thing.

When we turn the faucet on, it leaks from the top part. It does not leak if the faucet is turned off. It leaks a little bit if the faucet is turned on with nothing connected to it. If we connect a y-splitter to it with both legs closed, it leaks like a fountain.

What is that bit, what does it do, and how can I fix it?

Old 09-09-07, 01:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It is a backflow preventer or vacuum breaker, and is apparently reaching the end of its useful life. It is supposed to keep water, say from a garden hose sitting in your swimming pool from backing fowl water into the water supply system. Not sure of this particular design, whether it is repairable or not, but for the most part, they aren't. Have you tried (with the water off to the house) removing the plastic cap? There may be a replaceable washer underneath.

Old 09-28-07, 03:25 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We ended up replacing the whole hose bib last weekend, which definitely solved the problem. After we had it off I took a look at the old one, and there doesn't seem to be any way to remove the old vacuum breaker. Thanks for the advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: