both faucets frozen & no cold water

Old 09-09-07, 02:58 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
both faucets frozen & no cold water

We just had a home inspection on a home we are purchasing. We were told that both of the cold water faucets in the master bath were frozen shut. They would not turn on even though both sink's hot water faucets were working.

The inspector did not say whether or not he could tell if the cold water supply line was operatinal.

Would there be any reason that the cold side faucets in both sinks of the double sink would have the faucets not being able to turn on?

MY WORRY is that maybe they were made inoperable because of something in the cold water line that might be in the wall leaking or something.

Any ideas?

Old 09-09-07, 03:55 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
My idea is that you have to find out what is up, before possible purchase.

My simple guess on this is that someone used a channel locks to shut off the handle to hide either badly dripping faucets or poor water volume coming out of the cold lines.

Either way, finding out what is going on is easy enough. The handles would turn, I'd imagine, with persuassion.

But you want to make sure that also so do the shut-off valves under the sinks. Shut them off first, then try to open the faucets that are stuck.

If that fails, then leave them off for now and if shut off stops are off, you may not want to chance it and you may want to shut off the entire house to be sure the water is indeed all off. Then remove the water supply tube out of the top of even just ONE of those cold water valves. Then temporarily screw back into the top of the valve a flexible line, like a pex tube (you can get these for 99 cents at big box store including a plastic ferrule ring and also buy a nut to secure the line with to the top of the shutoff stop). Once on, then have someone turn on the house water while you point that tube into a pail and turn on the supply valve and time the water flow in seconds, to calculate out how many gallons per minute can come out the cold line. Then you can presume the other sink's cold will be probably the same way. And then your only issue, if that checks out good, is that you have a faucet that maybe needing replacement, at worst, of you are unsuccessful working the one that is there, free.

Also test water flow capacity through faucets in house with aerators unscrewed.

Also turn on shower on normal mix for showers and flush toilet and run kitchen sink and also try this test with bath sinks running to see if water flow slows markedly out of the shower head, and/or either shifts temperature to scald or get ice cold.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: