disassembling pvc joint

Old 09-13-07, 09:09 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question disassembling pvc joint

I have no choice but to disassemble a cemented pvc joint. does anyone have practice in doing this? It is a slip joint, and my goal is to remove the female piece without destroying the male piece. My plan is to use a dremmel tool and cut into the female piece, then use a chisel to try to cleanly separate the cemented surfaces. Are solvents useful? any advice? Thanks...

Old 09-13-07, 09:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 383 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What you want to do would be very difficult to accomplish. IMO you would be better off to cut out that section and go back with new.

Old 09-13-07, 10:10 AM
P
That's exactly what I want to avoid. The next piece back is a tight 90 joined directly to a 4-inch soil pipe.

Old 09-13-07, 10:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 383 Posts
I thought you were dealing with a supply pipe - it is almost impossible to reconnect a once glued pipe and it not leak under pressure. A larger drain pipe might be doable.

I'm not a plumber so I don't know if or what solvents will work without destroying the pvc. I'd be carefull with the chisel and sand the inside of the fitting well before reconnecting.

Old 09-13-07, 12:14 PM
M
Can you cut it out and replace with a Fernco coupling? I don't see any possible way to successfully undo a glued joint.

Old 09-13-07, 01:44 PM
C
Received 143 Votes on 116 Posts
I agree with everyone else. No way to redo a glued PVC joint. Once assembled the joint is "welded". I would be looking for other options. Can you provide more info on your piping configuration?

Old 09-14-07, 04:19 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
PVC/CPVC/ABS is joined using a method called Solvent Welding.
It, in essence, melts the plastic and then fuses the melted pieces together, just like metal welding.

Just like in metal, the only way that weld is going to come apart is if it was done poorly the first time.

Why do you have to remove this one piece?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: