Sewage draining into wall "I know sounds NUTS"

Old 09-13-07, 04:51 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sewage draining into wall "I know sounds NUTS"

I have a 2 bath house, small home and both toilets are on either side of the same wall. This morning the Master toilet when flushed bubble water level would rise as it refilled then drain as if it were going in reverse. I work from home so this afternoon I found the time to check out the issue and flushed it plunged it and repeated 3 - 4 times I gave up out of frustration. walked out of the master and the hall was full of water the water was coming from the wall that the toilets sit on it was seeping from under the baseboards. This part is crazy but true it was sewage( I won't go into detail as to how I know that is true just believe me it is sewage it came straight from the bowl ) I have heard of toilets backing up into the bowl but never from the wall. Don't toilets flush and go under the house? Our house is a slab found ation built 1980-1985 It was a HUD and we bought it about 2 weeks ago and I have had the plumber here 3 times now. I really don't want to call him again if I can just fix it myself. Now let me also add this house needs to be leveled and the Master bedroom and bath need to be raised the most. Could it be the sewer lateral is clogged? Or is it something worse like a broken pipe do to the settling? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
KNCB

Old 09-13-07, 06:53 PM
M
Most likely those two toilets are branched off of a common line with a vent stack very nearby. The line is clogged before the vent, and when you plunged and flushed and plunged and flushed, you merely pushed everything UP into the other toilet. Since it was out of your view and you did not have anyone else assisting, you would not have known. And it would just appear to be coming from under the baseboards, it was really just leveling out after all your plunging.

You will likely have to remove a toilet and use a proper sized snake in the line.

I should have been plumbed so as to prevent that, but it is still possible. And that may still not be what is really happening. But, now you can get a second pair of eyes to watch the other toilet as you plunge one.

Old 09-13-07, 06:59 PM
K
Thanks

I thought I might have to replace the Master Toilet at some point (soon) anyway! Thanks that is a very helpful place to start.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: