No water

Old 09-19-07, 07:58 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No water

Ok here is a stumper. I have a supply line that shuts off all by itself. It is the last fixture in the run. The run is over head comprised of 3/4" pipe leading in reduced to 1/2" where it turns down to go from my attic to the toilet. Sometimes the water runs no problem with the angle stop full open. Other times the water will stop with a soft "thunk". All the while the cold water at my sink, located 6' away, runs freely no matter what. I have disconnected the line from the angle stop to the toilet and NO water comes out, so it is not the toilet.
When the water stops I have to open the angle stop valve about half way. Shut off the main outside, open the hose bib. Close hose bib and turn the main on slowly.
I have pulled the angle stop off. It is clear of debris and opens all the way.
Someone suggested that there might be debris in the line so I cut open the pipe up in the attic. While doing so I heard a lot of air escaping. Next I pulled the angle stop off and about a 1/2 gallon of water ran out of the pipe, just like it was full. I then had my son blow compressed air into the line from the open pipe where I removed the angle stop and from the cold supply line at the sink. I observed the opening in the attic while he did that, nothing but air came out of the lines and there seemed to be no obstructions. Having the angle stop partially open is just too noisie.
Is it air and what can I do to fix the problem? If not air WHAT?

Old 09-20-07, 04:04 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds to me like a loose washer on a valve. Vacuum action from the rushing water will cause it to slam shut. make sure all the washer are screwed tightly.

Old 09-20-07, 09:53 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
There are some flexible hoses that have excess flow valves built in. They have a tendency to cause problems with toilets. You may have one of these hoses.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: