Vent... Seal or ????

Old 09-20-07, 06:02 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vent... Seal or ????

Moved into this home 2 years ago. Since this time, I've run into something that quite honestly has me stumped, and would love some input.
1) Toilet in MBR bath seems to get clogged very easily
2) Toilet in hallway bath "GULPS" usually 3 times, AFTER either the MBR toilet fills or while the washing machine is in use (I don't remember at what stage washer is at when it happens).

Gulping happens AFTER other toilet is full and shuts off.
ONLY the hallway bath "gurgles". It doesn't happen vise versa.

Sewage system is Septic - but has happened since the sludge was removed.

Any ideas... I thought it might be venting issue, but that doesn't seem right to me with the gurgle happening after the other toilet fills. Then thought maybe a seal??? But no leak or moisture seen (under MBR toilet is accessable in basement - hall bath is underside is covered by sheetrock, but does not appear wet).

Maybe a hairline crack in toilet.... don't have any experience on this at all - what would symptoms be and which one???

Also - house is a ranch with full basement - so all systems on the same level. MBR toilet is closest to the septic system.

One other toilet further down hallway - but this does not appear to have any issues with the other two. Hallway bath sits between the two other bathrooms and is directly next to the laundry room.

What have I missed... Any ideas?

Thanks.... Steve

Old 09-20-07, 07:46 PM
S
add-on to previous

Most obvious I would assume is that there may be a partial blockage. Since the MBR toilet stops up what seems to be often and it's the closest to septice outlet.
If anyone else thinks it may be a blockage.... where would your first guess be (washing machine & Hall bath... Hall bath to MBR bath or MBR bath and outlet).

Old 09-20-07, 09:42 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Let's start with the age, manufacturer and model of the toilets. Some toilets are notorious for not flushing properly.

Old 09-21-07, 03:43 PM
S
Going off memory....
I believe they are both 1986 American Standard. Model #'s I am not sure of. Nothing fancy.... both have back outlet discharges. All drainage piping is ABS (not cast etc...).

Did happen to think though.... The 3rd toilet that doesn't seem to be showing effects as mentioned earlier, is the same type of toilet EXCEPT the previous owner had installed one of those high pressure sytems. I know NOTHING of this system yet (there has not seemed to be a problem, and thus haven't had to learn about it yet). This is the type that sits in the tank with it's own "bladder", so there is no visible water in the resevoir tank. The bowl of course does contain the normal amount of water.

These issues may all be related or may be completely seperate (easily clogged and gurgling).

Worse case scenario, I'll run a snake through vents, remove both stools and run my snake through these pipes as well as washer discharge, shower/tubs, sinks etc.. TO the septic inlet and then replace seals. If that doesn't do it.... Someday down the road, I'll think about it again.

Old 09-22-07, 09:00 AM
Y
seal or ???

Gurgling sounds are often related to vent problems, either clogged or lacking. Try to draw a one line diagram of your system from the farthest fixture [water closet] to the septic tank. Look in the basement for any exposed piping to help you visualize your system. Then draw in the vents on this system. You may have individual fixture vents, or a single vent from a group of fixtures close together that go through the attic to the roof. Every fixture or group of fixtures should be connected to the vent system with a pipe located between the fixture trap and the drain piping. You won't be able to see the fixture vents in the wall, just keep this in mind as you draw your one line diagram. Go in the attic and see if you have at least one vent for each group of fixtures. If not, you may have found that you do not have the required vents to keep your fixtures from having their traps partially sucked dry if a water closet is flushed, and the gurgling is the water in the traps or water closet bowls being partially evacuated. Clogged vents may also be a problem that causes the same thing.

Old 09-25-07, 10:57 PM
J
Originally Posted by yudamann
Gurgling sounds are often related to vent problems, either clogged or lacking. Try to draw a one line diagram of your system from the farthest fixture [water closet] to the septic tank. Look in the basement for any exposed piping to help you visualize your system. Then draw in the vents on this system. You may have individual fixture vents, or a single vent from a group of fixtures close together that go through the attic to the roof. Every fixture or group of fixtures should be connected to the vent system with a pipe located between the fixture trap and the drain piping. You won't be able to see the fixture vents in the wall, just keep this in mind as you draw your one line diagram. Go in the attic and see if you have at least one vent for each group of fixtures. If not, you may have found that you do not have the required vents to keep your fixtures from having their traps partially sucked dry if a water closet is flushed, and the gurgling is the water in the traps or water closet bowls being partially evacuated. Clogged vents may also be a problem that causes the same thing.
So does people run a snake down the vents or what?

Old 09-26-07, 07:29 AM
J
I believe ill snake my vents like you said below. I missed that part.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: