Sink troubles

Old 09-21-07, 06:28 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sink troubles

I have a manufactured home that is about 12 years old. For the past year, the main bathroom sink would fill up partially with water and drain very slowly if the faucet was turned on full blast and allowed to run for several minutes. About 2 days ago I noticed that when the washer is draining I would hear a gurgling sound from the sink and water would splash out of the drain. After reading other posts, I did plunge the sink in case of a clog. I ran the washer again and did not notice any gurgling. I just ran the washer and once again it gurgled in the same sink. Then there was a lot of noise in the pipes under the sink. I flushed the toilets in the main and master bath, and it gurgled again. It appears that there is some type of vent on the pipes under the sink too. The washer is located at the opposite end of the house from the main bath. There is a master bath on the other side of the wall from the washer. The kitchen sink with dishwasher is located by the access to our septic tank. I have checked every other sink/tub/toilet for gurgling/back-up and they are fine. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 09-21-07, 06:33 AM
B
more info

Here's a little more info-I don't know if it will be helpful or not. The sink only gurgles when the washing machine is draining. It doesn't do it when the dishwasher is being used or toilets flushed when the washer is not running.

Old 09-21-07, 02:19 PM
W
wgc
vent is clogged or missing

The vent for that drain line is clogged or missing. When the water drains, it needs to pull air in to move. That air should come from the vent, but if it can't then it will pull air through an airlock in the trap of your sink.

Did this start after any plumbing change?

What do you mean by "It appears that there is some type of vent on the pipes under the sink too."? Is this a pipe that vents up through the roof or high on a wall? Is it a "cheater valve" that lets in air from the room while trying to keep sewer gas from backing up into the room?

Old 09-21-07, 07:15 PM
B
Possible "Cheater Vent"

There have been no changes to the plumbing. I'm guessing that there may be a "cheater vent" under the sink. After the trap, there is an elbow joint connected to a straight piece. The straight piece slopes down into the pipe that leads under the sink into the crawl space, but the pipe also extends up towards the sink with those words "...vent" on it. I can't get in there to read all of the letters before vent.

If this a "cheater vent", is this what we would need to check next? And if so, how do we go about getting it open without busting anything?!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: