Chronic Drain Clogging

Old 09-23-07, 06:38 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chronic Drain Clogging

Hi. I have recently moved into a new house. A little while after moving in, I noticed the kitchen sink and dishwasher are backing up into the bathtub after I do dishes. Their are small food particles and all. I called a licensed plumber twice and they snaked the drain, but the problem keeps coming back. I can not afford to have them keep coming back in the problem isn't fixed.
Now, the bathtub is backs up every time we use it. We have to bucket it out the window so the next person can shower. We have tried snaking it but it doesn't help. We put in some crystals and it helped for about a week but the problem came back.
When I go downstairs and open up the pipe their is standing water in there from the ground up. I tried putting a snake down there, but it will not go past a certain point. No trees are around my house, so I don't think thats a problem.

Help! Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 09-24-07, 03:49 AM
J
I assume the house is new to you, not new. How long do you get between snakings. If snaking the drain out works for a while, you need to check that you are not trying to put things down the drain that should not go there. Garbage disposals are popular, but I don't recommend them. And there are some things that never belong in a disposal. Using a lot of toilet paper can also be a problem.

There could also be a problem with a pipe, jagged edge or joint that catches everything. Consider a video examination of the pipes.

Old 09-24-07, 03:27 PM
H
Old House, New to Me

Yes, you are correct. The house is new to me, but actually about 80 years old. I don't use the garbage disposal for this reason. In fact, I can just run the water in the sink for 5 minutes and that will back up. The plumber has been out twice to snake and we have since tried to snake it a few times since the problem came back.

Yeah, I think I will have to call the plumber and get a camera. Hopefully he won't charge me an arm and a leg since I have already paid close to $1000 and the problem is not fixed.

Old 09-25-07, 03:42 AM
J
You might want to try a different plumber. If this guy has charged you that much without offering a better solution, time to go. Check with friends, relatives, neighbors, etc., for referrals. In general, Roto Rooter has a fairly good reputation, and this is their specialty.

Old 09-25-07, 06:46 AM
T
Has the plumber tried clearing the vent from the roof? After 80 years, there's no telling what's in there!

Tom

Old 09-25-07, 08:03 AM
80 year old is probably clay. Very good chance it has collapsed. The camera is probably your best bet.

Old 09-25-07, 09:34 PM
Could be the piping leading from the kitchen and bathtub that is clogged/corroded/restricted before it enters into the clay piping possibly.

Most older homes where cast iron transitioned into clay right under the concrete slabs were notorious for clogging. Extensive drain cleaning will not prevent the reoccurrence either.

Old 09-26-07, 10:08 PM
P
do the toilets ever give you trouble? what often happens is as the kitchen line heads for the main it picks up the tub, sink and then ties into the main near the toilet. very often the 3" x 2" (or 4" x 2" depending on the mainline size) wye is jammed full of sludge from 80 years of doing dishes. the only pracitical fix for this would be to cut the wye out and install a new one. the entire kitchen line might need replacement too but it sounds like the imediate problem is the wye.

paul

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: