Replacing saddle valves with...

Old 10-03-07, 08:26 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing saddle valves with...

Hi everyone. I'm looking to replace a couple of saddle valves that supply my fridge and humidifier. See pictures here and here.

The humidifier saddle is coming straight from the copper pipe from my water heater, and the fridge saddle runs along the ceiling. I don't know anything about plumbing and was wondering where to get started. From what I hear the best thing to do is get a Tee and a "real" valve, but I have no idea what kind of valve to get. Home Depot seems to have an abundance of ball valves that seem like it would get the job done, but I don't know for sure. Also, should I get a solder valve or the threaded valve? If you could be as specific as possible as to the type of valve to get I would appreciate it (a link would be awesome). Also, I could use any kind of hints on cutting the pipe and fitting the Tee/new valve.

From the pictures does anyone see any potential problems that might arise?

Also, the water pressure coming out of my fridge is horribly weak. Is this due to the saddle valve or could it be from the small flexible copper pipe that connects to the fridge? Thanks a bunch, always appreciated,

Tom

Old 10-03-07, 10:04 PM
P
i can't see any problems that might come up by replacing those vavles. they are the worst option for shut off valves. if you're comfortable soldering copper that would be the prefered aproach. cut in a 1/2" copper tee for the icemaker line and a 3/4"x1/2" copper tee for the humidifier line. get a few inches of 1/2" copper to put in each tee. now get a pair of 1/2" compression x 1/4" angle stops. these are the same kind of valves that you probably have under all your sinks except a little different size.

paul

Old 06-25-09, 11:33 AM
J
leaking hose

i have a saddle valve connecting a small black hose to the side of my air shaft. i'm guessing this is for humidifying the air that blows into the house?

anyway, the hose has blown a little leak. is this easy to replace?

Old 09-23-10, 04:58 PM
T
Just to update, I replaced my saddle valves and cut in a T like mentioned by p-nor. Soldered the new copper in which was the hardest part. If you are comfortable with a blow torch then its not too bad though. Hardest part for me was stopping the water from coming out of the pipe which cooled the pipe down too much to solder. Heard that you could stick some bread in the pipe to stop it and then it would just wash out of your drain....tried that and it didn't work out so well....got stuck in my kitchen faucet which i had to take apart.

Old 09-24-10, 01:31 PM
>>>stick some bread in the pipe to stop it and then it would just wash out of your drain....tried that and it didn't work out so well....got stuck in my kitchen faucet which i had to take apart.

Old 09-25-10, 12:10 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I think that Sharkbite fittings were created with guys like this in mind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: