Sewer pipe maintenance question

Old 10-08-07, 05:56 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Sewer pipe maintenance question

In our 40 year old neighborhood where we have lived for 10 years, we have noticed that, one by one, it seems our neighbors have a major sewer problem where they need major excavations in their yards. One neighbor suffered a 75' trenching through a driveway, brick sidewalk, mature flower bed and lawn. It ravaged his whole yard. Most other digs are somewhat smaller.

I have been told that in the neighborhood, the ground generally has been sinking which breaks the pipes and many times the break is right at the concrete foundation and it just shears off. I do not know if the pipes are clay or iron. Under our house they are iron.

We have spent many $$ landscaping and beautiful brick driveway and and fear the day when our pipe breaks and we need to dig up all our hard work and $$ to replace/ repair the pipe.

At a home show we saw a service that takes a wet fiberglass epoxy mat and wraps it around an inflatable tubular bladder and they run it through your sewer pipe and inflate the bladder and then the epoxy cures into a tube coating the inside of your sewer. They quoted $3000 for a set up fee then $100 per foot for the service. We estimate that this would be cheaper than a major dig plus the associated re- landscaping.

We thought this would be a savior if we ever have problems and we are considering having this done as a preventative step as we are having no problems with our sewer.

The company is calling wanting to come out and TV our sewer....does anyone have any experience with the process and is it smart to do it if you are having no problems? Thanx!

Old 10-08-07, 07:08 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if the company is offering a no obligation video inspection take them up on it. i would not go with the relining though. what i'd do in your case would be a trenchless sewer replacement where they pull a new polyethalyne sewer line though the old one. they need to dig one hole at the house and another at the end of the line, probably at the curb. they run a heavy aircraft cable through it and then attach a bursting arrowhead to it. they then pull the arrowhead through the line with a new sewer line attached to the end of it. the arrowhead bursts the old line out of the way and replaces it with the new flexible line. the only issue is that the line can't have any grade issues. it must have a propper fall and no uphill areas since the new line lays in the same location as the old. you can use the free video inspection to determine if the current line is going downhill the entire time.

paulh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: