EASY question about knobs

Old 10-23-07, 09:58 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
EASY question about knobs

Hello, this is an easy question, all i want to do is change the knobs on the tub faucet handles(hot & Cold knobs). Do i need to turn the water off??? i live in an apartment and i don't think i have access to do that.

Old 10-23-07, 10:49 AM
A
If its JUST the handles, you don't need to turn off the water. Be sure to not remove the nut that holds in the guts or your downstairs neighbors won't be happy.

Old 10-23-07, 10:52 AM
You can certainly replace your handles without turning off the water. HOWEVER, realize that you cannot but just any handles. You MUST by handles specifically made for the brand and model of valve that you have. Depending on how old it is, and what brand it is, there may be a variety of styles and finishes available, or you might only be able to find only exact duplicates of the ones you remove. Take the old ones to a plumbing store for help.

Old 10-23-07, 02:31 PM
N
thanks everyone for the help, how do i know what brand it is??? Can i just take it to a Home Depot or Lowes and have them give me the right ones??

Old 11-04-07, 07:48 AM
T
Me too Me too

I am interested in doing this too! There is nothing wrong with the guts of my tub facet, but have been remodelling the rest of my bathroom and would like some nice, shiny tub handles and a new spout (which is corroded and gross). I believe that I am able to just unscrew the old spout and screw a new one on but am somewhat apprehensive of the handles.

If I pop out the screw cover and undo the little screw inside, the handle will just come off? It will slide out or I will need to twist it?

Old 11-04-07, 10:40 AM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
Valve stems (the part that the handle attaches to) are usually splined. The valve handle has matching splines. Typically to remove a handle all you have to do is pop the dust cap and unscrew the screw holding it on then just simply lift the handle straight off.

Unfortunately, things don't always go that easy. Sometimes the splines are seriously gunked up or corroded and difficult to remove. A handle pulling tool can really help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: