Replacing bathtub overflow gasket

Old 10-23-07, 06:43 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing bathtub overflow gasket

Hi,

I purchased a new bathtub overflow gasket and half of it is significantly thicker than the other half. I've done some searches and read conflicting recommendations on which way the gasket should be installed.

The guy at the hardware store swore that the thick side should be on top. Other things I've read say that it should be on the bottom since the tub slopes inward. And other posts I've read say there is no right or wrong way - just whichever way fits the best. Which way is right?

Thanks,
Jay

Old 10-23-07, 07:49 PM
P
the thicker end goes down. the pipe connecting the drain and overflow is vertical and the tub slopes away from it as it goes towards the drain. so, yeah, it'll fit good one way and terrible the other. thick side down.

paul

Old 10-23-07, 08:09 PM
J
Thanks, but I ended up with going with the "whichever way fits best" method. Once I took the old gasket off it became clear that the pipe didn't line up very well with the hole in the tub. There was a bigger gap in the lower left, so that's where I put the thicker part. Hopefully it will work! I haven't tested it yet to see if there are any leaks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: