Need to re-route vent pipe in kitchen

Old 10-25-07, 07:27 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to re-route vent pipe in kitchen

Since I resized my kitchen window during a remodel I need to re-route my vent pipe as it was originally run through the king studs. Here in earthquake country the new codes prohibit this as it is assumed the seismic resistance is compromised.

Where can I find out what the angle of the new pipe is supposed to be from the vertical pipe (galvanized) through the roof over to the sink area? I was told the code is vertical which the inspectors consider to be 45 degrees or more. I am already aware I will need to route the new ABS inside and around the king studs before completing the run.
I can post a pic if that would be more helpful.

Old 10-25-07, 10:01 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Vent piping can be run horizontally or vertically within the same run; after all, that's how they get connected together in the walls and ceilings and run out to the vent stack. Just don't make 'traps' that would catch liquid (rainwater can and does get into the vent piping from the roof vent) and block the vent, so horizontal runs should be sloped to drain slightly back to the drain that is being served. I haven't seen a req't (I'm not a plumber), but if sloped at 1/4" per foot of horiz. run (the same as a waste line) the inspector couldn't fault you on it.

The Taunton book 'CodeCheck Plumbing' I find to be a good reference for all plumbing work. Examples of venting options are shown in it as well. Amazon and the box stores sell it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: