Water pipes jump when turned on/off.

Old 10-25-07, 08:18 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water pipes jump when turned on/off.

I have a 17 year old home, lived there for 5 years, and have weird plumbing problems. 1.) I had a under slab leak already and the water came up through the slab where the cold water comes up for the refrigerator. While cleaning the mess, I noticed when I turn the water on or off at the kitchen sink, you can see the pipe for the refrigerator jump around. They are at least 10 feet away, and go under the slab. I have always noticed the sprayer will jump around turning the sink on and off also. 2.) When in either shower, if you turn on the cold water or flush a toilet, you get COLD shower water. What is going on???

Old 10-25-07, 03:17 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Normal reaction of pipes and valves that turn the water on/off. A long known principle, action/reaction. There should be an anti-hammer extension at the water pipe entrance to the house. A verticle pipe about 2-3' that has a cap on it. That is likely waterlogged, no longer an air cussion to absorb the shock. Assuming you have a shutoff valve at the entrance that works(usually don't), you can shut if off, drain out some water, unsolder the cap and let air in the anti-hammer extension, resolder everything, and it should last another ?? years with no knocks or hammers.

But if things move from under the slab, you may have some other problems!!??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: