Replacing Bath Drain Trim Kit

Old 10-25-07, 02:23 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Bath Drain Trim Kit

The two tubs in my house have the twist and close type of tub drains. Due to corrosion, both the drain trim kits now need to be replaced. I have purchased the chrome finish trim kits to replace the corroded ones, but I do not know how to get old one out. Normally there would be some sort of cross-members that the pop-up screws into that you could grab with a pliers, but these have all corroded away. There is nothing for me to grab hold of to unscrew the old drain insert. I'm hoping someone has an idea for me on how to get these out so I can install the new ones (and make my wife happy with me again).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I would post pictures, if I could figure out how to do that. Let me know if that would help.

Old 10-25-07, 07:14 PM
W
Hi,

You need a drain key. Instead of using the cross members for leverage to remove the drain trim, it presses against the sides to give you torque to remove the drain. Good luck.

- Mike

Old 10-26-07, 07:18 AM
C
Drain Key?

Where do I find a drain key? Is that something that a Home Depot / Menards / Lowes would have?

Is there any other ways to remove the old drain? I thought about partially drilling into the side of the old part, and then using a chisel or screw driver to start it reversing out by hitting with a hammer. Worried about damaging the threads on the part that stays attached to the tub though, so that might not be a good idea.

Thanks for your help and any other suggestions.

Old 10-26-07, 02:34 PM
W
Not sure if they carry them at the large hardware departments or not. Maybe a local plumbing supply place. You can get one off the internet just as easy. You can always cut the drain trim and demo it, but if you damage the waste shoe (the threads you mention) you might as well call the plumbers.

Old 10-28-07, 04:26 PM
C
Any ideas on how to cut this out, as you suggested? I thought about just trying to drill into the sides a ittle bit, so that I could try to use a screwedriver / hammer to work it loose. Think that could work?

I asked about this at a Lowes when I stopped in the other day, and they had no idea what I was talking about (the drain key). Any other suggestions?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: