Help with hot water heater

Old 10-28-07, 12:23 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with hot water heater

How do you know when your hot water heater is on the fritz? It is heating the water well. But, I'm noticing water around the bottom that is leaking through the adjacent walls to my dining room and closet in the master bed room. Actually, I believe that it is leaking constantly. I live in small condo and I thought I had a leak from my upstairs neighbor. But that may not be the case.

I don't know the age of the water heater, but I believe that it is the second one installed in this unit which is 32 years old. I've had it for seven years.

What would be my next step?

Please help. Thank you.

Woodle12 in Cleveland

Old 10-28-07, 01:01 PM
You need to determine exactly where on the water heater this water is coming from. The drain valve? Is it coming out of the pipe attached to the T&P relief valve? Or somewhere random on the bottom of the heater?

The valves are easily fixed, but if the tank itself is leaking it's time for a new heater.

-core

Old 10-28-07, 01:14 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,272 Upvotes on 1,212 Posts
Yeah, you have to figure out exactly where the leak is because it makes a big difference in what you do about it.

Old 10-28-07, 03:56 PM
J
The average life of a standard type water heater, gass or electric, is about 12 yrs. Could be time for another one. But don't procrastinate, that water can cause lots of damage.

Old 10-29-07, 09:59 AM
W
Thanks....

The leak is not from the relief valve. It appears to be coming from the bottom of the tank. I guess I better start making calls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: