Two Sinks in a Kitchen

Old 10-30-07, 08:34 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two Sinks in a Kitchen

Hi,
I have two sinks in kitchen one large and one small bar sink. It is brand new installation. The plumber has installed pipes for drain and water.They all are running through crawl space and comming out in kitchen. I installed sink and water lines on bar sink and drain with s-trap. It worked fine. Then I installed sink on second one. This main sink has garbade disposal. I installed garbade disposal with s-trap. Dishwasher drain is also coming into garbage disposal.

The problem is this when I filled main sink with lots of water and drian it the air starts to come out from bar sink. It is very noisy. Similary, when barsink drains, air starts coming out from main sink. The are back flowing the air in each others. Any help would be appreciated.

One question more. Do garbage disposal needs full s-trap loop or just J-trap?.

Thank You

Old 10-30-07, 11:44 AM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It sounds as though your drains are not vented. The air you are hearing is supposed to move freely up/down the vent stack as the water drains. If your getting the vent air up the other drain, either the plumber didn't install the proper vent lines or the vent stack is plugged. Before I spent my own time trying to fix this, I'd get the plumber back out and make sure he installed the proper vents. And, I wouldn't accept a Studor vent (air admittance valve) at this point, they're only bandaids IMO; I'd want a real vent connected up and out the roof.

Old 10-31-07, 04:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
In addition, S-traps aren't legal in most municipalities, so have your plumber confirm this with yours. Venting (or lack thereof) is definitely your problem. And, as forumula said, don't accept an AAV until all the proper methods fail to produce a good drain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: