Sewer smell in house, especially basement

Old 11-05-07, 02:13 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sewer smell in house, especially basement

We have a sump pump in our basement that drains the water from our washing machine. From time to time we clean out the receptacle and wash the sump pump because the smell gets bad. But I'm noticing more and more that cleaning, or dumping bleach in the receptacle is not helping much. My question is, where could the rotten egg smell be coming from if not the sump pump? What type of professional could I call to check on the problem, a plumber?

Old 11-05-07, 02:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Where does the sump pump send the gray water? If it goes to the sewer/septic system, you should have a trap to prevent backflow of sewer gasses. Give us a little more details of your setup and where everything goes. Do you have a floor drain?

Old 11-05-07, 03:22 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Most of the complaints about sewer gas here tend to be due to a clogged vent stack. If you can access the vent stack, running water down it with a water hose can often remove the clog. Floor drains with dry traps can cause sewer gas odor. If you have floor drains, pour water in them to see if that eliminates the gas. Traps should have water in them to keep the sewer gas from entering the home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: