How to get drain covers off for cleaning

Old 11-06-07, 02:49 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to get drain covers off for cleaning

I have two bathroom drains I need to clean as they are slow to drain. One is in a sink, the other is in a shower stall. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the drain plug/cover.

Here is the sink:

And here is the shower:

I've tried lightly to get the covers off, but I don't want to break either of them. I figured the sink one would unscrew, similarly to a bathtub one I've taken off in the past, but it doesn't seem to. I can't get the shower one to budge at all. I thought someone with more experience might have some recommendations.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-06-07, 03:28 PM
J
The sink drain is called a pop up, since it pops up when you push the lever. Depending on how it was installed, it could be easy or easier to remove. I see no screws in the shower plate, so I assume it just pops off with pressure from a screwdriver, but don't force it. For the pop up, you could pick up a plumbing DIY book from a home/hardware store, or go and look at one in the store. I am not good at explaining this one. But you may need to loosen the nut that holds the pop up linkage under the sink.

Old 11-06-07, 06:02 PM
J
Fantastic. You gave me just what I needed. The plastic one popped right off with enough pressure... I was just being TOO careful, and crawled under the sink and think I see how to disconnect the other one!

Thanks again!

Old 11-07-07, 04:02 AM
J
Thanks for the feedback, glad for your success.

Old 11-07-07, 09:02 AM
Drains

Unless you are using a plunger on the sink that is not the place to clean it out, using a cable is almost guaranteed to get jammed before you get to the clog. In that situation you pull off the trap and snake from the point of connection. Luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: