Gas Line Leak

Old 11-08-07, 11:07 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Line Leak

Hi there! So I ran a gas line for a new furnace. I paid attention to detail, used a lot of pipe dope and really cranked on the pipes when putting the pipe together yet when I pressurize it to 40 psi it will drop to 30 psi over the course of two hours. Over 24 hours and there is 5 psi held no problem. I have pressurized it and searched for leaks using soap and there are NO bubbles. I am worried that the gauge I am using leaks or something because I really can't imagine that the pipe is leaking somewhere. Could a natural gas valve that I have inline be leaking because it's over the recommended pressure? I have it open. It's all brand new pipe, valve and fittings.
Any insight anyone could offer would be GREAT.
Thanks
Scott

Old 11-08-07, 11:49 AM
S
building inspector came over...

So get this, the building inspector just came over and checked it out. He tells me that all it needs to do is hold 30 psi for 15 mins. He passed me on the whole furnace and gas line, but should I still be concerned? My impression would be that it shouldn't leak down hardly at all, should I go nuts trying to find the micro leak what?

Scott

Old 11-08-07, 03:18 PM
J
Multi attaboys for having it inspected. He is correct. Gas inside the house is only about 4-6PSI, so not a lot of concern that a joint will blow out. And the odor put into natural gas is more detectable to the nose before it reaches dangerous levels.

Old 11-08-07, 07:08 PM
A
The gas company should also check it before hooking it up. They do in my area anyway. Gotta cover their own butts too.

Old 11-08-07, 11:40 PM
S
Thanks for the atta-boys, I know it was the right thing to do. Most everyone I told that I got permits laughed at me and said I wasted my money and time. I really don't agree, because when it comes time to sell this house I don't want any issues with permits or any of that.
Glad to hear that the inspector is right, so really I don't have anything to worry about? I still think I am going to take the time to tighten up everything one more time to ensure it's sealed well enough. It's a long run, from crawlspace to attic through the sillplate and a utility room. Lots of work, but hey... I live here with my family.
Now there's no way I could make it less sealed by taking it apart and re-assembling everything? Black iron pipe is meant to be able to be taken apart and put together many times, right?
The gas company around here does not do any inspecting at all. I have heard that in some places they want to be there when you fire up the furnace for the first time, I'm glad they don't want to do that here!

Thanks for the info!
Scott
Thanks for the info.

Old 11-08-07, 11:43 PM
S
Thanks for the atta-boys, I know it was the right thing to do. Most everyone I told that I got permits laughed at me and said I wasted my money and time. I really don't agree, because when it comes time to sell this house I don't want any issues with permits or any of that.
Glad to hear that the inspector is right, so really I don't have anything to worry about? I still think I am going to take the time to tighten up everything one more time to ensure it's sealed well enough. It's a long run, from crawlspace to attic through the sillplate and a utility room. Lots of work, but hey... I live here with my family.
Now there's no way I could make it less sealed by taking it apart and re-assembling everything? Black iron pipe is meant to be able to be taken apart and put together many times, right?
The gas company around here does not do any inspecting at all. I have heard that in some places they want to be there when you fire up the furnace for the first time, I'm glad they don't want to do that here!

Thanks for the info!
Scott

Old 11-09-07, 03:52 AM
J
When you put the pipes together, you should use pipe dope on each threaded connection, not teflon tape. The tape might shred in installation leaving bits of tape to stick in gas nozzles. Dope also lubricates the threads so they tighten more easily.

Old 11-09-07, 05:54 AM
Most likely the valve is leaking. Did you plug the line at the furnace?

Your gas line pressure will only be a few ounces so at 5 PSI for 24 hours, your good.

"Normal" inspection here is 10 PSI at 10 minutes. Differing jurisdictions have different requirements in my area.

Old 11-09-07, 08:08 AM
Smile Gas Line

1: Any gas line that drops from 40psi to 5 psi in 24 hrs. has a leak.

2: If you over tight gas lines you may be causing a leak; you can't keep taking them apart because gas fittings will streach.

3: Most residental gas pressure is approx. 1/2lb.

4: Too much dope can also cause a prob., moderate is the way to go.

5: A lot of areas I work in require a 5lb. test on gas lines, but this requires a special gage, $$$, could be that the gage you used was defective.

6:Bottom line is I don't think you should take your line apart, I think you will cause leaks that you didn't have, this is info. only, your call, have a good one.

Old 11-09-07, 09:55 AM
S
Agreed. After 48 hours it's holding WAY over 1/2 psi so I am less worried about it. Well thanks for the information, everyone. I really appreciate forums like this! Cheers!

Old 11-09-07, 10:07 PM
P
you definately seem to have a leak. like shacko said, if it drops from 40 to 5 psig there's a leak somewhere. if it were leak free, you should be able to hold 40 pounds. i've seen pipe with holes or cracks in it, after i'd spent quite a long time checking every fitting over and over. you might have to pull the valves and cap all the terminal points. then pump it up to 100 psi. you should be able to hear the leak then. i don't think i'd let this go.

paul

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: