Orange Lines on Floor?

Old 11-12-07, 10:07 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Orange Lines on Floor?

I've noticed on the linoleum floor right outside of our shower, a wierd orange line has began to come through. It's taken 3 or 4 months to get to the point it is now, and although it's not horrible, I want to make sure I shouldn't be doing anything about it. From the way it comes out of the shower, and takes a 90 degee turn, then goes straight, I'm guess it's from a pipe? I've attached pictures below, and one with a line showing the direction of the wierd orange stain. It is because it's a hot pipe? Should I be worried about leaking or anything?

Old 11-13-07, 03:40 AM
J
Discoloration under a vinyl floor is often due to an adhesive not compatible with the vinyl, moisture under the floor, etc. But from your description, I would guess it is joint sealant from an underlayment seam bleeding thru. Once those things appear, there is little you do to get rid of it, other than replacing the floor. And that would tell you exactly what is the cause.

Old 11-13-07, 04:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Another thing I noticed is the rusty corner bead above it all. It is possible iron oxide has seeped under the linoleum and is causing the discoloration. Just a thought.

Old 11-13-07, 04:53 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I agree that this is likely cause by water. It's also probably not something you can fix. I'd rip up the floor, fix the water infiltration and lay a new floor. Yeah, I'm aware that's a lot of work.

Old 11-13-07, 08:32 AM
T
Do you think it's something I need done asap? Am I going to have mold issues/etc if it's water based? I was eventually going to remodel that bathroom probably, but if this is an urgent matter, I would consider doing it soon than later.

Thanks all

Old 11-13-07, 03:23 PM
J
It is not what I would consider an emergency, but if the cause is moisture, then things will only get worse, including structural damage. I would at least consider doing a new vinyl floor in the next few months. That would tell you if the problem is urgent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: