gases vented into house

Old 11-13-07, 06:07 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gases vented into house

We've had a "stink" off and on in our house for the 2 years we've lived here. Best described as a rotten egg/septic smell. We spent thousands of dollars working on the septic tank, as we thought that had to be the problem, and just discovered that our builder had vented our guest bath and laundry room directly into our house.

Basically we have a one story house, with vaulted ceilings, and an open lofted area that is above the bathroom/bedrooms on one side of the house. The pipes were just sticking up a few inches into that loft, but not far enough that we could see until we got up there.

Has anyone heard of something like this happening before? After reading up on the gases we've been breathing I'm definitely paranoid, and want to make sure we got all of the problem. Is there some sort of detector or something out there that could tell us if there are any residual gases in our home?

Old 11-13-07, 08:48 AM
Vent line.

I hope you got the vent fixed?, if not you don't need a detector beside your nose. All waste and sanitary lines have to vent to the atmosphere.

I don't think that a off and on smell has caused you any problems.

It happens quite often by people that don't know; or the worse ones that don't give a fxxk. Luck.

Old 11-13-07, 09:03 AM
P
Yes, $1,200 later (that doesn't include the $3,500 in septic work) we have one pipe venting through the roof (the one from the bathroom), and the other one (the one from the laundry) they put a cover on that allows air to enter, but not to escape.

Yes, our builder (who incidentally is also our neighbor...not feeling very neighborly these days)...took a lot of shortcuts. Trying to clean up all his messes. Very surprised the building inspector didn't catch it though, seems pretty obvious.

I was reading that low concentrations of the gasses (which are still bad for you, especially long term) are not detectable to the nose, that's why I was wondering if there was something I could use that would tell me if they are still in the house.

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-13-07, 09:32 AM
Smile Vent Leak

You probably had a AAV installed on the line, I hate them, they are a mechanical device, not a true vent, they will go bad. Bottom line is that they may be legal where you live.

I've never seen a methane detector in a house, you will have to do your own search, have a good one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: