Low hot water pressure

Old 11-16-07, 01:25 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low hot water pressure

I have an american standard single handle valve in the shower.The hot water pressure in the shower has never been the best but its getting really bad now.I took the valve apart , tried to clean it , but its no better at all.They want 40 to 60 bucks for a new ?drum/disc?assembly.Is there any thing else that could be the problem?

Old 11-16-07, 04:27 PM
I
when you say you took it all apart,did you really take it all apart? and when you took it all apart did you look in side really well to make sure nothing was in the way? sometimes its the o rings ,or the insides get full of sediment . is that the only part of the house that has low pressure at the hot ? does the sink in that same bathroom have good pressure at the hot?if yes then my next question would be was the one before that one have the same problem? there are sometimes a valve in the pluming behind the wall if that valve is not all the way open it does not matter what you do you will not get good pressure. sometimes the plumber does not open it all the way after replacing the new one? also the positioning of the assembly have alot to do with that ,if they are not lined up just right you will have low pressure. take in mind just because the little indicators are lined up does not mean they are accurate,sometimes they strip and are off aliment. that would be my main guess? Im sure you will get more info here from the pros. if you can post the model# of your A.S product it would help?

Old 11-16-07, 05:23 PM
B
Thanks for the reply. All of the other faucets have good pressure on both hot and cold. The pressure in the shower , however , is just a trickle on hot. Its so bad that it doesnt even spray from the upper holes on the shower head. I tried using clr on the shower head but its just a trickle from the faucet also,so thats not my problem. Not sure about the valve behind the wall theory but i didnt see one.As far as disassembly i took off the handle,trim ring,and the "barrel". I looked with a flashlight and couldnt see any obstructions in the rest. I replaced the barrel ($37)and it is no better at all. Also the house is apprx. 20 years old and all the lines appear to be copper. Its a real bear to get to because there is no access exept from the front after you take off the trim ring,about a 6 inch hole.

Old 11-16-07, 07:14 PM
B
Not sure of exact model # but this is a diagram. Previously what i referred to as barrel was actually a cartridge. I attempted to get the pressure regulating unit off but couldnt. Could that be the problem? Also going by the picture my faucet seems to be manufactured after 1995 if that helps.http://www.watertownsupply.com/Produ...dard/ams27.jpg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: