Frost Free Faucet low water pressure, sm stream

Old 11-16-07, 03:53 PM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Frost Free Faucet low water pressure, sm stream

I have a two year old no brand name frost free faucet. It was fine until this past July when I did some indoor plumbing repair. I did have to turn off the water supply to the FFFaucet but otherwise, it should not have been affected. I replaced the pressure tank in the basement to my house. The water comes out of the pressure tank and goes to my sinks and tub and the FFFaucet is off that line. I had to replace some of the pipes and the on/off valve for the main line. Water pressure is fine to the house sinks and tub but not to the Faucet outside. Pressure is weak, stream is not as big around and it now takes five minutes or more to fill a 5 gal bucket. I use this faucet every day to fill my horses water trough. Hopefully, someone here is able to help me. The pressure on the pressure tank is fine. I did have to adjust a screw to get it up to the top number. I've had a hose on this outdoor faucet and I blamed the hose. I've removed the hose and realized it is something else causing the slow water stream (I don't really know why the stream is so small, little finger size instead of thumb, ah woman talking here.

Old 11-16-07, 04:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It is possible, no coincidence to your work, that the washer has become detached from the stem, is partially stuck over the hole, and only allows a minimal amount of water out. To check this out, turn the water off, again, undo the collar nut on the faucet and unscrew the stem from the body. Look at the end and see if the washer is there. If not, go fish. You'll have to dig it out with a tool like a dental pick. I would go ahead and replace the washer with a new one. Let us know how it goes, or if we need to drop back and punt.

Old 11-17-07, 06:11 AM
S
Thanks Larry! One thing I forgot to mention that may make a difference is when I lift the handle up, it takes longer for the water to draw up and start running. Would this washer thing have something to do with this as well? Also, what you are telling me to do is take the top of the faucet off the pipe and fish down the pipe for a washer? I need to get this fixed before the ground freezes in case I have to dig it out.

Old 11-17-07, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yard Hydrant

I think what you are talking is a yard hydrant. Do you have a separate shut-off valve for the hydrant?, if so I would look at that valve first, it may have a bad washer or dirt in it, if the inside cut-off is a ball valve that dosen't comply, procede to the hydrant. Depending where you live the shaft of the hydrant may be 4ft. long, Luck.

Old 11-17-07, 10:52 AM
S
Thanks for the reply! It is an 8 foot long frost free faucet. It has a red top (handle, spigot) and a galvanized pipe down into the ground where it attaches to a water line into the house basement about 125 feet away, and the only thing it has written on it is China, go figure. Anyways, the shut off valve in the basement for it is plastic pvc for drinking water line. It goes into a black line that runs out to the faucet. Everything in the house works good. Just when I lift up on the red handle, it takes a bit longer than it should to draw water and then the stream does have some pressure (I think the pressure is normal) but it is only little finger size round and it takes over five minutes to fill a 5 gal bucket. It used to take less than 2 mins. but ever since I changed the pressure tank in the basement out, it takes a while to fill now.

Old 11-17-07, 11:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
OK, different horse. I would still turn off the water, unscrew the head and pull out the shaft, just to see what is on the end of it. If it is missing a washer, you may retrieve it by turning the water back on with the head off. You will have a geyser for a second or two, but the washer will come out. You may never find it, so it would help to have someone look out for it's LZ.

Old 11-26-07, 03:35 AM
S
Update: I purchased a repair kit at my local tractor supply store. I took the red top off, the rod had another short pipe threaded onto the top and that was loose, I pulled the rod out and the plug at the end was also very loose and rusted up. Since I had everything apart, I replaced the plug on the end, tightened up the top pipe, replaced the brass fitting that the rod goes through before getting to the handle portion with the set screw (I undid the set screw before taking the top off), I put pipe tape on the pipe before screwing the top back onto the pipe, the directions said to life the handle 30 degrees before setting the set screw. It workes! I have great pressure and a normal stream, it takes less than a minute to fill a 5 gal. pail!! Thanks all!!!

Old 11-26-07, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Yard Hydrant

Saddlebum: I love it when someone has success. "May the force be with you"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: