pump for furnace/humidifier

Old 11-17-07, 02:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pump for furnace/humidifier

We recently had a new heat pump/furnace combo installed, and during the install the contractor said that our drain through the basement slab to the sump pump did not meet code. He installed a pump to move the furnace condensate and humidifier run-off through a tube up to the rafters and across a 30' run, then down to the sump pump. I'm not sure what was wrong with the old drain, but I wasn't against the pump at the time. However, after watching it work there is an issue in my mind. The basin of the pump fills up and it kicks on. By time the pump basin is emptied, the water has just gotten to the end of the long run before the pump shuts off. Gravity then forces all that water in the 30' line to backwash into the basin again. So the pump is kicking on every minute or so.

I'm sure there is an easy fix for this issue, just can't put my finger on it. Any thoughts? I can snap some pics if my long explanation isn't sufficient. Thanks.

Old 11-18-07, 05:30 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you need a check valve in the condensate discharge line. That will prevent the water from falling back into the pump reservoir.

Usually there is not enough discharge from a heater to make much of a difference if discharged into the sewer line. But that can add up and if everyone did it, the local sewer authority system gets overwhelmed, with water that does not need to be treated.

Old 11-18-07, 12:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
We are in a severe drought here in the South, and we save condensate water to water plants, as well as the lead in water for the shower, cold until hot. 5 gallon bucket sitting just outside the shower to catch it. Creative saving. But I agree with the check valve.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: