Installing shutoff valve

Old 11-18-07, 03:19 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Installing shutoff valve

I am having a lot of problems with my kitchen. The electrical inspector says I have to install a light over the sink so people can see what they're doing. It's code. I don't have a problem with that. So I looked and looked, but could not find a cable behind the walls to hook a receptacle to. So I had to rip down more walls. Then I had to rip down the cabinets. To make a long story short, I found myself in a kitchen completely gutted except for the kitchen sink. I might as well remove the sink. But to do that, you have to shut the water off. And the previous owners had not bothered to provide shutoff valves for the sink.

So now, I have never done any plumbing except for unclogging toilets. I looked in my Home Depot renovations book and it shows your basic homeowner installing a shut off valve without any problems. It says even a complete novice can do it in an hour. Well guess what, I started this morning, the sun is starting to set, and there is water all over two levels of floor. I have the cold water pipe taped up to cut down on leaks, but the hot water pipe, I just don't know what to do. Every time I think the shutoff valve is on tight and it'sgoing to work, I turn the water on and the valve shoots into the sky and water gushes out all over the floor.

I'm done for the day. I can't take it anymore. If somebody can tell me what I am doing wrong... I am just following the instructions in the book and on the products I bought to do this job. The instructions look very simple, but they are not working for me.

Is there some way to just cap the pipes so water won't come shooting out? I don't need to use this kitchen, there is a functional one on the main floor. I do need water for the main floor and the rest of the house, so I can't just leave the water shut off.

I am too tired to explain any more. I will try to post some pictures here, since a picture is worth 1000 words.

Sorry, I don't know how to host pictures. It took over an hour to get this one into the forum. I am calling it a day.

Old 11-18-07, 04:15 PM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
Doublez - not sure what I'm looking at in your pic. What's the black stuff under the stop valve? Anyway IIWM, I would buy two 1/2", compression type stop valves. Cut the pipe where there will be at least 1/2" of clean pipe and install the valves. As simple as tightening with a wrench.

The comp[ression valves will have a ferrule that slips over the cut end of the pipe. A nut squeezes the ferrule and provides the seal. Shut the stop valve and problem solved.

Old 11-18-07, 04:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cwbuff
Doublez - not sure what I'm looking at in your pic. What's the black stuff under the stop valve? Anyway IIWM, I would buy two 1/2", compression type stop valves. Cut the pipe where there will be at least 1/2" of clean pipe and install the valves. As simple as tightening with a wrench.

The comp[ression valves will have a ferrule that slips over the cut end of the pipe. A nut squeezes the ferrule and provides the seal. Shut the stop valve and problem solved.

I fear those are compression fittings, and the black stuff appears to be black plastic electrical tape. Did you install the compression ferrules on the pipe???

Old 11-18-07, 08:44 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I don't know how to put pictures in here. The pic that took me an hour to put here is too big. I have more pictures but I don't want to take an hour each to put them here. I don't have a website to post pictures on. All these free web hosting sites are scams. They don't even work.

So I will try to explain in words. First of all, what is a ferrule?

2nd, yes, I wrapped black electric tape around the cold water pipe because it was leaking when I put the Dahl ball fitting on. At least that one didn't shoot to the ceiling when I turned the water back on.

The hot water pipe, even with tape, I can't get the valve to stay on.

The guy at Home Depot gave me these things when I told him I needed to install a shutoff valve. He gave me 2 compression valves, I think, you can see one of them on the cold water pipe held in place with tape. He also gave me some bending plastic faucets called Speedi Plumb. I don't know what they are for.

Am I supposed to cut the pipes? Why? They are exactly where I want them, and they are not damaged.

These valves are not threaded. Neither is the pipe they are supposed to go on to. So how are they going to stay on?

Yes, I should have called a plumber, but it's too late now. The last time I called one, he charged me $300 to put a washer into a faucet. I'm not getting jacked up again.

The valve stayed on the cold water pipe, it just leaked a little bit. So why doesn't the valve stay on the hot water pipe? I didn't do anything differently. Not at first.

Old 11-19-07, 06:17 AM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
No need for a plumber. As long as the pipe is not damaged or deformed you should be OK. I suspect that you forgot to install the ferrules on the pipe or the stop came w/o ferrules. A ferrule is a tapered ring that goes on the pipe after the nut. When you tighten the nut on the valve the ferrule bites into the pipe to make the seal.

A word of advice about big box staff. Many know what they are talking about but many do not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: