Need help moving clothes washer drain

Old 11-20-07, 08:43 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help moving clothes washer drain

I need to replumb my cloth washer. The old drain seems to go to my old leach field and is now draining in my neighbors yard. He in not happy and keeps asking me to fix it. Here is some history. A 2 years ago we switched from spetic to city sewer so the tank was filled and we no longer use the leach field.
The washer is downstairs on a slab. The main drain is about 10 feet away behind the sheet rock wall. The only way to get the water to the drain is thru the ceiling. I have drop ceiling and access to the pipes that way. The total height from the floor to the joist is 8ft. I would put a stand pipe of 18"- 24" with a p-trap which is what I have now, it would then pump up from the p-trap 4'-5' in to the ceiling. I would need to pump the water up to ceil across the room about 10ft(this can slope to help drain) then attach to the tub drain that goes to the main drain about 1ft.
My concern is will the washer pump the water up that high? What would be the strain on the washer pump?
Again I have no other place to put the washer and no place to put a sink to drain to then pump out.
Could/Would this work?

Old 12-10-07, 06:06 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Anyone? Any help? Please!

Old 12-10-07, 08:05 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
(Just a novice at this... hopefully someone with more experience will chime in)... but...

The washer will likely pump that high (4-5'), but you'll likely reduce the lifespan of the washer. I've seen one actually pump up about 7' to ceiling height, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

The solution I used was installing a wash tub next to the washer, drain the washer into the laundry tub, then use a laundry tub pump to pump the water to the correct height and drain accordingly. This not only was a good solution for the washer, but the addition of a laundry tub was exactly what I needed.

I used this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cm_rdp_product
which doesn't need any venting.

Flotec (and others) have gray water pumps that mount in a container and work the same way, but they require drain piping as well as a vent.
http://pumpbiz.com/products/index.cf...&series_id=664

(links are just examples)

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: