Big Mess...(Plumbing Backing Up)

Old 12-13-07, 04:20 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Big Mess...(Plumbing Backing Up)

I am having a huge problem with my upstairs bathrooms and was hoping I could get some answers...

The other day the shower drained extremely slow and the toilet has been having a problem clogging up. Usually I will just use the plunger but after a while it wasn't as effective as it should be. I ran the bathtub to see what happened and gray water began backing up into my shower and air came bubbling out of my toilet. I called a plumber to come look at it and to make sure that there was no blockage anywhere. They ran a snake through both the shower and the toilet drains but that did not solve the problem. Could it be because my septic tank needs to be emptied? He told me that in order to fix it he would have to knock down a wall in my house to get to the plumbing and try to clear it through there. I think that is a bit extreme and cannot afford to pay the $1500 he quoted me if I don't have to. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited by Megan505; 12-13-07 at 05:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-07, 08:32 AM
Drain prob.

Megan505:

1: Do you have fixtures lower then the bathroom and are you having probs with them?, if so, the whole main drain is involved.

2: Did the plumber remove the toilet before he snaked that line out, if not that was a waste of time.

3: Without knowing the lay-out of your plumbing system breaking down a wall sounds iffy to me.

4: With the info. provided, I lean toward a flooded septic system, they need to be pumped out on a periodic basis, luck.

Old 12-13-07, 09:13 AM
T
Sometimes a clogged vent pipe can cause such problems. Did they run the snake through the vent pipe from the roof?

Old 12-13-07, 04:12 PM
S
Yes, the roof vent should be checked first. If that plumber did not check the roof vent first he did you a disservice.

Old 12-14-07, 05:43 AM
M
No, they didn't check the roof vent... the only thing they did was run a snake down the shower and toilet drain
I will suggest checking the roof vent. Thanks!!

Old 12-14-07, 11:21 AM
S
Find a different plumber. $1500 to fix this is a ripoff.

Old 12-14-07, 02:08 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by shacko View Post
1: Do you have fixtures lower then the bathroom and are you having probs with them?, if so, the whole main drain is involved.
Megan,

To get help here you really need to answer questions asked as some are VERY important and are key.

If you answer this one question, we can also determine if that plumber is worth his salt, is a rip-off artist that should be reported, etc.