Pressure Test and Gas, Understanding

Old 12-19-07, 02:08 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Pressure Test and Gas, Understanding

My understanding is that in order to do a pressure test on a gas line all appliances should be disconnected as well as the meter. Then a gauge is attached to the end of one of the pipes. My building inspector says I can just shut off my modern gas valves and I don't have to cap the pipes at the appliances.

I called a plumber and he put a valve on my side of the meter and reconnected the meter. If this valve leaks, will air from the 10 pound test be getting back into the gas meter?

Understanding the meter disconnection: What if 10 pounds of pressurized air did get into the meter. Would this damage the meter's internal parts or seals? Or is it disconnected just to ensure that air never gets into the system?

Old 12-19-07, 03:51 PM
Personally I have not seen tests done that way. I don't recommend it. I don't know if an inspector will like it.

Around here, they don't want the new piping connected to the gas until it has passed inspection and test. Even though your new valve is closed, you have essentially connected to the system.

Old 12-19-07, 05:00 PM
R
More Questions

I called one of the inspectors here in Berkeley and he said testing with the new valve isolating my house and the meter still connected is OK. Seems odd to me because if the valve leaks won't air be getting back into the meter?

I wonder if the meter has some kind of safety mechanism to prevent backpressure if the valve were to leak?

Also, how does the 2 pound diaphragm regulator on PGEs side of the meter work? It vents excess pressure, but will it work for excess backpressure coming from my side of the meter? If it vents does it reset itself or does it shut off the gas?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: