Connect Cast Iron to PVC???

Old 12-20-07, 07:47 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connect Cast Iron to PVC???

I have pvc in my basement all the way to the last point where it is cast iron going into the cesspool.

There is a leak where the pvc and iron meet.
How do i fix that? Is it a wax/rubber ring? Or can i just use some type of sealant to cover the leak?

thanks

Old 12-21-07, 04:01 AM
J
Is it a donut in a hub type connection, or a fernco fitting type connection. If fernco, just tightening things should do the job. Donuts are harder. I may need a new donut or hub repair, in which case, cutting the hub and installing a fernco might be easier.

Old 12-21-07, 03:50 PM
S
i looked at it closer.
There is no rubber seal there right now.
It looks like there is just a lead sealant around it.

I went to the plumbing store and he gave me some type of quick set sealant similar to an epoxy...

I'm going to try that first. If that doesn't work then i guess i could take out the pipe and put in a donut seal.

Also right now there is no room for a donut seal. The pvc is pretty much flush w/ the inside of the iron. So if i wanted to put in a donut i would need smaller pvc.

thanks. Ill let you know how it goes...

Old 12-22-07, 10:30 AM
H
If the sealant you're trying doesn't work, you, IMO, would be best off with a Fernco coupling (as has been stated).

You would have to cut back the PVC a few inches and attach the rubber Fernco to either end. All that's required is a screwdriver to tighten up the band clamps and check for leakage.

You should be able to get the Fernco couplings at most hardware stores and at the big box improvement stores.

Old 12-22-07, 06:01 PM
S
OK, so I put the sealant around the pipe and it didn't work.

I guess its my fault. I tried doing it the lazy way.

So tomorrow I'm going to head to the store to get some type of donut.

Here's my question.
Do they come in almost any size? and is there some type of standard size for the cast iron piping, or did it change over the years.

I know there are two different types of rubber seals.
The donut inserts and the coupling ones w/ clamps.

Im not sure if I can use the coupling type w/ the clamp b/c of the shape of the iron pipe. It has a SMALL of a lip on the end of it, so i don't know if the rubber woud grip it securely.

So, should i use the donut insert type?

*** I'm a little nervous that I'm going to end up cutting off the pvc, and then I wont be able to find the right rubber donut to fit....

thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: