Low Water Pressure Kitchen Faucet Only

Old 12-23-07, 08:07 AM
B
BEK
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low Water Pressure Kitchen Faucet Only

Having a problem with my kitchen faucet. Water pressure is fine for about 5-10 seconds and then it slows to a trickle. Happens with cold and hot. Rest of the house is fine, no problems. Faucet is relatively new (~1.5yrs) Kohler single handle with pullout sprayer. Have tried cleaning aerator screen at end of sprayer but it was already clean. Also tried removing the sprayer and running water straight from the hose but still have the same problem. Not sure what to do next. Is there another screen to clean somewhere? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 12-23-07, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Water pressure

Hi bek
It sounds to me like you have a blockage in a line, cutoff valve, connection, or in the mixing valve in the faucet.

How old is the house? I have seen on new houses or older ones where work was done, something will be in the line and can take a while to get to a place where it blocks something.

IE water flows, and carries a bit of junk to a valve or fitting, it jam's there, reducing flow. Turn water off, and it settles back down the line until the flow is started again.

Try cycling your cutoff valves from fully open to fully closed and back with the water running.

You may need to disconnect the inlet lines to the faucet and purge them into a bucket. Look for debris in the water. If water flows freely from the lines, it has to be in the faucet cartridge. Don't think these faucets have any inlet screens on the hose connections.

Do you have a dishwasher? Where does the water tap off for it? If its after the hot cutoff valve, and the dishwasher still fills ok, then it has to be after that.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Good Luck

Best in 2008

Old 12-23-07, 09:47 AM
B
BEK
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Gunguy45 - Thanks for the reply.

House is only 10 years old. Dishwasher cutoff is before the sink cutoff and dishwasher works ok.

Tried cycling the cutoffs but no luck.

Next would be to purge the inlets as you suggest. There are flexible braided hoses from the faucet connected to the copper. Do you know if there is a compression nut/washer that I will need to replace when I reassemble?

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-23-07, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Low pressure

Hey bek,
Yes, there are washers on the hoses, but you can probably re-use them, unless they were really overtightened initially. I'm not really even sure if they sell replacments at the box stores.
Best in 2008

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: