Unbelievable amount of water.

Old 12-23-07, 04:25 PM
W
Received 43 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Unbelievable amount of water.

Ive been on this forum about this water problem so many times that even I am tired of it. I have a condo that is at the bottom of a hill, probably built where it shouldnt have been, that gets ALL of the water from the other condos built on higher ground above it. Add to this the red goo that fills up the footers as they do their job of routing this water to the sump pit, and you can see that when the forecast is for more than an inch of rain, I dont get to sleep very well. I have a heavy duty sump pump in the pit, one just like it for back up, and a smaller one to back both of them up in the worst case. I also have a battery back up pump attached in case I lose power. Now that I have cut clean outs thru the basement floor in every corner to deal with the red goo in the footers every thirty days, I can keep the floor nice and dry. Now, since water is right now filling up 10 gallon size sump pit every 3 minutes, (this happens 5 or 6 times a year) Im wondering if there is another way to pump water from here more cheaply, maybe a wind powered pump that can catch some of this water before it has to be picked up by the electrical powered one, and just keep the water moving.
Any ideas?

Old 12-24-07, 07:53 AM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
A couple of months ago I saw a demo on Ask This Old House that showed a pump that ran on city water pressure. No electricity involved. It used the same concept as the eductor pumps used for dewatering ships. I think they were pricey but probably not a bad choice in the long run.

The real plus was no need for backup if the power fails.

Old 12-24-07, 08:07 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old 12-25-07, 07:29 AM
W
Received 43 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Water Powered Pumps

Thanks guys!

Ive explored the water powered pump route, and Im sure that for an emergency, it would be handy to have. I like the battery powered unit for that purpose. There is so much water hitting this basement all the time, that Im looking for a way to pump it without electricity or water usage. (water here costs more that electicity) Ever see a windmill on top of a condo?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: