Kitchen sink clean-out install questions...

Old 12-27-07, 03:27 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Arrow Kitchen sink clean-out install questions...

I cut out the 2" galvanized kitchen sink drain/vent assy. to do structural repair during remodeling. The piping will be replaced with 2" PVC connecting to the (supported) remaining vent pipe and a stub I left above the basement floor, using mission bands.

From past experience having the kitchen snaked, the clean-out (test) tee made things difficult because it was 3 feet up from the floor and water couldn't be run from above as the snake was first trying to reach the clog under the concrete.

My plan is to locate a wye just above the basement floor connection and a test tee just above where the sink arm connects to the drain in the wall. This way, the vertical drop can be snaked down to the wye and the cast iron under the concrete can be snaked through the wye with water gently running from above not running out.

Is there any issue with doing it this way instead of a test tee in the middle of the pipe like it had?

Also, for the tee above the sink arm: The new sink cabinet will have about 1-3/4" gap from the sheetrock to the inside back of the cabinet. A test tee will just barely come through the sheetrock and not make it inside the cabinet. If that is opened and water is present it will run down between the cabinet and wall. So, is it OK to use a vent tee w/a stub to bring the plug inside the cabinet?

Thanks guys!

Old 12-31-07, 06:44 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
It sounds like you're right on track. The wye in the basement will make it a breeze (well, at least easier) to snake the under-floor piping while the tee above the sink will help with the sink drain (which likely won't get clogged now being PVC). Your suggestion of a sanitary tee with a stub out will work just fine.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: