stubborn clogged kitchen drain

Old 12-30-07, 06:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stubborn clogged kitchen drain

My kitchen drain is incredibly, definitely, absolutely clogged.
I'm fighting against it since over than one year; every few months I successfully "unclog" it... but probably not completely, as after a few months it's clogged again.

I really think there's a big, hard clog inside the pipe in the wall (my 18' auger completely fits inside the pipe, but it slows down when it's inside about 15', and I "feel something").

Unfortunately my auger has no special "devices" on its top, it's just a long "spring", same diameter along whole length; here in Italy I am not able to find any good "real" auger which could "dig" into my pipes, I only found on internet some shops which only send in USA.
Does anybody know any international vendor of professional augers?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-07, 12:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have a basement or otherwise accesible area under the kitchen where you can see that pipe, and then cut it in the middle and auger both ways?

The pipe can be mended together again by using a solid rubber hose that has band clamps on each end (sold under Fernco brand here). -I- just had a terrible kitchen clog that was unsuccessful from under the sink and I got it not only unclogged, but by the fact I was rooting and reaming around inside the pipes for as long as I was, repeatedly snaking AND flusing with a hose with a rubber sausage-like device on the end that allows the rubber head to expand and force water through - AND then later using the hose only to chug with and flush while I held a rag over the pipe opening - the lines cleared out very nicely. Went form 100% clog (not 99% - 100%!) to allowing both basins to drain out completely together in 31 seconds!

Old 12-30-07, 12:18 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi, I use this it may help you. I bend the end of the snake about 45 Degrees about 1.5" down. I also save old snakes and cut about 3' off and bend the end. I then hook it to my battery powered drill and clean out tubs and basin drains it get the clogs about 90% of the time.
Good Luck woodbutcher

Old 12-30-07, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Do you have a basement or otherwise accesible area under the kitchen where you can see that pipe, and then cut it in the middle and auger both ways?
There's no way to access the pipes, not from above neither from below.

But looks lkie I found a company which uses professional augers to "drill" the clogs in the pipes... Tomorrow I'll call them to know their prices...
They also do video inspections... It would be cool to know WHAT the **** is clogging my drain.... but I need to know this cost, too, before...

Else, solution suggested by Woodbutcher could be interesting; I have a spare auger,too.

Old 12-30-07, 04:22 PM
Do you have any idea how long that kitchen drain pipe run is before it dumps into a bigger pipe?

Oh. And around here, they get close to $200 to send cameras down sewer pipes. I'd think one sent down the kitchen drain would be a waste, as it is probably just all gooked up in there.

The one I just did had hair, part of dishrag that went through garbage disposer, bread bag twist ties, bobby pin, and pieces of plastic in the line, besides a lot of gook. LOTS of gook.

BTW, the hose blasting method works best if sink is not vented. Otherwise you send water clean up the vent! - and the water most likely will fly back out at you when you let off the pressure!

Old 12-31-07, 04:39 AM
Do you have any idea how long that kitchen drain pipe run is before it dumps into a bigger pipe?
I can estimate around 20-25'.

The one I just did had hair, part of dishrag that went through garbage disposer, bread bag twist ties, bobby pin, and pieces of plastic in the line, besides a lot of gook. LOTS of gook.
Ok, here we are again: since when I started for a solution in English language, I learnt DOZENS of new English translations of Italian terms clogged-drain related.
But you used A LOT of word I can't find on any dictionary... dishrag, twist ties, bobby pin, gook....

BTW, the hose blasting method works best if sink is not vented. Otherwise you send water clean up the vent! - and the water most likely will fly back out at you when you let off the pressure!
Fortunatley there are no vents.

I did another attempt this morning: I connected my 18' auger to a variable-speed drill; I successfully inserted the whole auger insde the pipe, thanks to the additional help of the drill; once inside, I made the drill turn slow, fast, and FASTER, clockwise and c.clockwise, pushing and pulling the auger, for several minutes....
Then I let some water flush in the pipes.
Some "whitish" (?) matter came out from the end of the pipe, then only clean water.... but drain is STILL clogged!! Not completely, a bit of water pass through, but the damned clog is still there!

I didn't yet try to bend the top of the auger, it will be next attempt...

Old 12-31-07, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by jumpjack View Post
I can estimate around 20-25'.
And your auger is 18 feet? Maybe you need a 25 footer.

Ok, here we are again: since when I started for a solution in English language, I learnt DOZENS of new English translations of Italian terms clogged-drain related.
But you used A LOT of word I can't find on any dictionary... dishrag, twist ties, bobby pin, gook....
dish rag. Two words, actually. Sorry. a dishrag is like a wash cloth for dishes.

twist tie is paper coated short pieces of thin wire that often are what are twisted around the end of a plastic bag that fresh bread comes in from a grocery store, to secure the bag shut pretty airtight. We also may use these to tie shut plastic garbage bags before tossing them in the garbage.

A bobby pin is this thin piece of wire that is
bent in half so that it like a closed up V that is maybe 3 inches long and women slip it in their hair like a paper clip to hold their hair in place.

Gook is like a build up of slime (hope you know what that is). It resembles say margarine that comes in a tub.

Fortunatley there are no vents.
That means that since you are getting SOME drainage, that you could perhaps successfully utilize the hose/blaster device method I spoke of.

Old 01-01-08, 05:25 AM
And your auger is 18 feet? Maybe you need a 25 footer.
Can't find it anywhere.

dish rag. Two words, actually. Sorry. a dishrag is like a wash cloth for dishes.
Ah, "spugnetta", thanks.

twist tie is paper coated short pieces of thin wire that often are what are twisted around the end of a plastic bag that fresh bread comes in from a grocery store, to secure the bag shut pretty airtight. We also may use these to tie shut plastic garbage bags before tossing them in the garbage.
Looks like a "legaccio".

A bobby pin is this thin piece of wire that is
bent in half so that it like a closed up V that is maybe 3 inches long and women slip it in their hair like a paper clip to hold their hair in place.
This should be a "forcina per capelli"...

Gook is like a build up of slime (hope you know what that is). It resembles say margarine that comes in a tub.
mmmh... I don't think we have an Italian word for this... maybe "pantenna" in Tuscanic jargon...
Thanks for the explanations, anyway.

That means that since you are getting SOME drainage, that you could perhaps successfully utilize the hose/blaster device method I spoke of.
Are you talking about this?
I was, repeatedly snaking AND flusing with a hose with a rubber sausage-like device on the end that allows the rubber head to expand and force water through -
Your first post was not very clear just a few days ago... now I know enough to understand it better.
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...er-184689.aspx

I was just asking myself how to use this strange device!

Old 01-02-08, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by jumpjack View Post
Can't find it anywhere.
Huh. Well they have them at my big box Menards here, for cheap. Can be used by hand or with drill connected to it.

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...er-184689.aspx

I was just asking myself how to use this strange device!
Yes. That is it. They come in different sizes.

Old 01-03-08, 02:44 AM
Huh. Well they have them at my big box Menards here, for cheap. Can be used by hand or with drill connected to it.

Yes. That is it. They come in different sizes.
well, I gave up.

I'm going crazy since a week due to this damned drain, so I decided to call an "expert": he came with a truck containing some thousands of litres of water, an high pressur pump and several hoses with different nozzles.
After 3 hours of work, and after some dozens of pieces like these came out from the pipes,... and after 200 bucks!!!!, now it looks like the drain is properly working.

This stuff does not care about sulphuric neither hydrochloric acid; I guess it's some soap aggregate, although it's quite hard. I'll give it a try with some kind of caustic soda, to see if I can get rid of it...

Old 01-04-08, 07:38 AM
Ok, I did some tests: i picked up 6 pieces of that stuff, six cans, and six different "unclogger chemical products".
Here they are the results (sorry, I must us italian names...):

"WC NET sturascarichi (powder) - contains Sodio metasilicato, sodio dicloroisocianurato
Result: nothing

"Finish curalavastoviglie" - unknown compsition (used to clean dishwashers)
result: nothing

Decalcificante ultrarapido "Nuncas" - contains "urea fosfato"
result: nothing

Sgorgarapido granulare "Amacasa" - pure caustic soda
result: nothing (even warmed up)

Disgorgante idraulico "Solbat" (=H2SO4 >66%)
result: piece of "stuff" completey disappeared after some minutes!
BUT I also previously used an H2SO4 high-concentration product, which appeared not to have any effect on the sample. Should investigate further.