dishwasher door spring fixed, but what a plumbing nightmare resulted!

Old 12-30-07, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dishwasher door spring fixed, but what a plumbing nightmare resulted!

I had a door spring give out on my dishwasher, thread HERE, and had to shut off the water main to fix it. Actually, the combination of closing the shotoffs and shutting the main is probably what resulted in my problem: little pieces of plumbing 'schrapnel' clogging the faucet. After cleaning a lot of the gunk out of the filter in the faucet, it was still producing only a trickle, so I suspected valve stems or diverter were clogged as well. I briefly considered what would probably be a very stupid method of clearing them: connecting the faucet to the water supply 'backwards', so the water would flow into the faucet end and out of the base. Having decided against that, a friend and I removed, disassembled and cleaned everything we could get at, at both ends of the faucet's lines, as well as the body of it: schrapnel everywhere. Now reassmbled, the pressure is better than ever, and I had been disappointed with this faucet since its install (the filter at the 'beginning' of the line probably got clogged immediately upon install). One problem that persists, however, is the stream vs. spray situation, as the spray always releases a trickle or more while the faucet is on, and when you switch it to spray, you have to shut off the faucet to get it back to regular flow. The Pegasus faucet is a bit of an odd design, HERE, but I'm guessing there's a nother clogged part in there I haven't gotten to, don'tcha think?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-07, 12:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a bad hair day. I only can ask one question. Why in the world would you go through all these gyrations to replace a door spring on a dishwasher???? I have always been able to fish the spring down through the frame, attach it and bring it up to the door. Bet you put a flexible supply line on the sucker this time, didn't you?

Old 12-30-07, 12:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the shrapnel is pieces of white plastic (it floats), it's probably a deteriorated hot water tank dip tube that is a long tube under the cold water inlet. Replaceable.

If it is rusty chunks, you probably all ready have figured out that is from galvanized pipes, if that is what you have.

Old 12-30-07, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
.....Why in the world would you go through all these gyrations to replace a door spring on a dishwasher???? I have always been able to fish the spring down through the frame, attach it and bring it up to the door. Bet you put a flexible supply line on the sucker this time, didn't you?
...as Homer Simpson would say: "D'oh!!!!" I SHOULD have put a supply line on it (for next time). I was too busy cursing the plumber (and electrician) that didn't give me enough slack (easier than cursing myself for the meaty forearms!).
To answer your first question, this stupid door-spring design has the spring attached to the absolute rear of the chassis, then a long string (not quite rope) with plastic fused-on bits that go from the spring to the door hinge. All very simple to attach while the dishwasher is travelling down an assembly line, but a different story now.

The 'schrapnel' is black; looks like charcoal but feels like superball rubber. I'm guessing it's part of the vintage shutoffs, since they weren't really doin' the job of shutting off until I tightened them with a wrench.

The friend that helped me was saying I could probably replace the faucet head only, which might not be a bad idea. If you can't gather from the photo of the faucet, the spray comes out of a different spot than the stream, and the mechanism for switching between stream and spray is a twistable knob at the end of the faucet. All, very fussy, compared to the simple push-button on most Kohler-Delta-Price Pfisters.

Old 12-30-07, 07:53 PM
The black stuff is most likely pieces of a washer -I'll guess one disintegrated and its not working now. I hope its all off , but if not the rest of it may come back and clog something else.

No ideas on the Pegasus faucet - but you may want to play dumb and contact the manufacture for warranty - you might get lucky.

Old 01-09-08, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by tribe_fan View Post
The black stuff is most likely pieces of a washer -I'll guess one disintegrated and its not working now. I hope its all off , but if not the rest of it may come back and clog something else.

No ideas on the Pegasus faucet - but you may want to play dumb and contact the manufacture for warranty - you might get lucky.
well I'll be a monkey's uncle! after a bit of "1-800 roulette", typical, I guess, for any Home Depot-related issue, I got someone who quizzed me about my issue, then agreed to send a new spray/spout part, which arrived today. No dumb-playing necessary; I must be a natural! I just checked to make sure it works better than the one i have, and, of course, it does (it came with a hard, plastic-like washer instead of the black rubber one in the original). Thanks for the tips.