Need help with Leaky shower

Old 12-30-07, 11:36 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help with Leaky shower

I was told i need to replace a shower valve. 30 year old faucet. Hot water does not turn off completely no matter how hard I turn it. Shower only, two handle faucet. At this point I am prepared to tear down the wall to stop the leak. I purchased two different size shower valve socket wrenchs but dont seem to work. take a look at these pics. Let me know if you have any questions. I think its only the hot water that is leaking.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-30-07, 11:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Wish you had bought the entire set of sockets so you could be sure to have the right one. The socket will extend far back into the wall void before it finds a home. I trust you have the house water turned off at this time. Once you have it removed, it is a simple matter of changing the washer on the end. Before you reinstall it, look into the vavle body with a flashlight to make sure you don't have an residual trash in the body, and that the seat is smooth. If not, you may have to grind the seat or replace it as well. Let us know how it goes with the right socket.

Old 12-30-07, 12:17 PM
D
thanks. I will head out to HD and buy the set. Looks like I'll be needing a really large socket wrench. One more question (for now at least) Can I just shut off the hot water from my water heater? We have not been able to locate our main water shut off valve just yet.

Thanks again!

Old 12-30-07, 12:22 PM
D
One more question: Our plumber said he would charge us $500 to fix leak and replace shower faucet to include handles and shower. Why would we need to replace the entire shower faucet? Yes, its very old and ugly but I'm wondering if what he meant was that the the entire shower faucet is causing the problem? due to age or something? He stated it was a shower valve that needed to be replaced. And did not specify why the entire faucet would need replacing.

Old 12-30-07, 12:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Shutting off the water at the water heater will do the job, after you relieve the pressure via another faucet. Your plumber is suggesting replacing the entire valve assembly with shower riser, possibly to a single lever model with a decorative ecustcheon plate to cover the two holes. His pricing would not be out of line considering the work he would have to do. But he ain't a carpenter, nor is he a tiler, so consider how much demolition he will do that you will have to either repair yourself or hire another trade to do. In the meantime, seriously look for that shut off. It could save your bacon in an emergency.

Old 12-30-07, 09:21 PM
D
The steam ended up being a really old American Standard steam. Socket wrench of all sizes did not work with this steam because of the round shape rather then hex shape. I managed to remove the steam with a cresent wrench without damaging the brass. Home Depot was already closed so I ran to walmart for a package of assorted washers and the shower is still leaking. In fact, the new washer fell to pieces. Guess it was the wrong size or type. I'm not sure if the valve was clean or not, just looked very old. Anyhow, I plan on making a trip to Home Depot in the morning and buying a new valve. I'll be sure to update any progress. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: