Locating Main water shut off valve

Old 12-30-07, 01:43 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Locating Main water shut off valve

I've searched high and low for the main water shut off valve. We dont have a basement and we live in a warm state (NM) so it may be outside but i can't locate anything other then the City valve and what appear to be sprinkler timers. Take a look at these picture and tell me if you see the main shut off valve? Pictures are of water heater. Otherwise where else might I look? BTW, thanks Chandler!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22289775@N05/

Last edited by diymelk; 12-30-07 at 01:46 PM. Reason: corrected title
Old 12-30-07, 02:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You're welcome. The sprinkler control thingy you refer to is probably a meter transmitter the city reads electronically, and you may only have the cut off at the street. Next time you are at a plumbing store or big box, pick up a cut off "t" bar and keep it handy on the wall in the garage, etc. so you can get to it and turn your water off if necessary. Ideally you should have one inside the house where the cold water enters, so it looks as if the one going to the water heater inlet is it.

Old 12-30-07, 09:16 PM
D
With the shut off valve be the pipe with the blue tag next to it?

This one?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22289775@N05/2149376469/

If so, How would I turn it off? Do I twist the clip on top?

Thanks again!

Old 12-31-07, 06:34 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
Originally Posted by diymelk
With the shut off valve be the pipe with the blue tag next to it?
Nope, that's your Temperature & Pressure Relief valve. If something goes wrong in the water heater and it builds up too much pressure, that valve will automatically release the pressure so it doesn't explode. (all water heaters have them). The pipe probably leads outside and just ends so if it does need to expel water, it will drain outside. Usually, nowadays, you just see the pipe extend downward to within 6" of the floor.

The shutoff valve is the one with the black handle on the incoming water pipe. That valve shuts off cold water coming into the water heater (and therefore the hot water leaving the heater).

Old 12-31-07, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
shut off

Hi There,
You may want to check under the sinks in your bathrooms and kitchen, esp if you have a bath somewhere near the middle of the house.

Best in 08

Old 12-31-07, 08:39 AM
Unhappy Shut-off valve

diymelk: Your pictures would be a lot more effective if they showed both sides of the heater clearly, i.e the right side of your picture.

If there are no fittings after the valve shown on that side?, it can't be your main shut off.

The pictures show multiple violations with the code I work with, sorry.

Old 12-31-07, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
violations?

Shacko

Just for informational puposes, could you list the problems you see? I'm sure Diymelk didn't install it, but I was wondering what you were seeing wrong.

Best in '08

Old 12-31-07, 11:28 AM
D
The pictures you see are from the top of the water heater and side. There are no other pipes coming from the other side of the water heater. I've updated the photos to clearify.

Top pipes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22289775@N05/2151954703/

side pipe
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22289775@N05/2151962729/

What violations are you seeing? Who knows how old the water heater is. The home is 30 years old and from pattern of everything else in this home, little has been updated or changed. We purchased the home a year ago and have been making updates on everything you could possibly imagine.

Old 12-31-07, 11:38 AM
D
I've looked under sinks and no shut off valve. Do plumbers have some sort of tool that could locate the shut off valve? I know where the meter is from the side walk but don't see anything coming into the house. Staight line from the city water valve would be to our main bathroom, located in the middle of the home in a hallway. Could it be near shower pipes?

Old 01-01-08, 07:49 AM
Smile Shut-Off Valve

diymelk: I will modify my post with your new info.

Since you have no addition connections after the valve to the water heater delete that as a violation [WATER HEATERS MUST HAVE A DEDICATED VALVE]

The flex line from the PT valve is a violation, they must be run full size.

No main shut-off in the house would be a violation

Whats on the other side of the wall where the water heater sits?, that may be a place to look

Your idea of a straight line from the meter is a good place to start, if there's a valve it should be somewhere in that line of sight.

Since the forum dosen't know the construction of the house, i.e., slab, or crawl space, it becomes hard to come up with ideas.

Like I've said on other posts, codes are regional, maybe 08 will solve your prob., luck.

Old 01-02-08, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
shut off valve

Heres a thought...any neighbors with a similar house? You might want to knock on a few doors.

As to the "violations", don't sweat 'em until you change out the heater in the future. I looked closer at my own heater, and its installed the same way. Bit cleaner install, granted, but same type of hookups. I guess our codes are diff from where shacko works. Mine was built in 89-90 in Northern AZ.

And the last 2 houses I've owned, had the shut-off right where you'd think, central bath, in the middle of the house.

Remember from an earlier post, you MAY not have a shutoff, tho I'd think 1977 it would have been required. You could probably call the building inspectors office for your county/city and ask one of the older guys.

Best in 08

Old 01-02-08, 01:04 PM
Codes

Gunguy45: Info. only, where I work every city, town, county and state will have their own code or a variation of the state code. I'm sure this is a way to make money, but it frustrates the hell out of you if you have to work with them. Have a good 08.

Old 01-02-08, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
codes

Hey shacko

Oh i know, 2 towns completely intertwined where i used to live. Different things in both places...I swear, VA was as bad as the stories i heard about NY/NJ.

Best in 08

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: