bread, new copper pipes and my hot water heater.

Old 01-02-08, 08:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question bread, new copper pipes and my hot water heater.

I've done a bunch of copper pipe sweating in my home and I've always used bread to plug the hole to keep water outta the joint. Usually it's been a wheat bread (darker color only, no nuts, huge grains, etc. in the mix) despite people saying to use Wonder. At 2am I'm not going out to buy bread. Okay, that's not the issue...

My issue:
I decided to cut out a section of pipe that was about a foot from the hot water heater (cold water inlet) because of an old saddle valve that was bothering me. It was turned off and the 1/4" pipe was just cut and sitting there. I removed this section of pipe, sweated in a new section and all is fine. Is there a concern about the bread getting into the hot water heater and just festering there? Is the bread bobbin' around at the top just getting nasty and polluting my water supply? I assume not, but I wanted to throw it out to the helpful people on the forum to settle my concern. Not that there's much I can do about it anyway....

Thanks!

Old 01-02-08, 10:17 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
In two words: "Worry not".

though that bread could possibly end up clogging your faucet screens in the future... Should you end up losing pressure at a faucet - check the screen for gunk before getting into the guts of your plumbing....

Old 01-02-08, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Bread

skydiverMN: Using bread to help soldering has been around a long time, but it should always be white bread, it only takes a small grain to cause probs. with the plumbing system.

Bottom line is unless you used a loaf of bread don't worry about it; like the other post said, check your aerators. Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: